How to read faster??

I'm completely unsatisfied with my speed during reading (about 280 words per minute). Besides, it's common not to get all the compreehension of what I read. Is there a way to read faster? Any exercise? Tips? Methods? Thank you.

Favorite Answer

I read very quickly (roughly 400 wpm if I'm going for the bare essentials) and the only way I've increased my reading speed is by reading a lot, which means pretty much whenever I have a spare moment.

Here's a clip I found for improving speed reading:

There are three possible ways to improve reading speed. The fastest is probably a speed reading seminar based upon good materials and animated by a dynamic instructor. It is quite usual for a slow reader to double and even triple his reading efficiency during a two-day class offering a positive atmosphere, carefully selected texts and comprehension tests. However, as this rapid and encouraging improvement is not sufficiently anchored, it often fades with time.

A book about speed reading is the second possibility. Such a book usually provides speed and comprehension tests as well as techniques to improve reading. It often includes more general information about concentration, interest stimulation, skimming techniques and ways to approach a text. Some methods may include audio or videocassettes. A book-based method requires a good deal of time as well as a strong commitment from the reader.

Finally, a speed reading computer program is probably the most efficient way to achieve top reading levels. Computers offer unique exercises to boost reading efficiency through interactivity, text animation and pacing. Higher reading skills obtained with a computer screen are totally transferable to reading from paper. Unfortunately the inverse way does not work so well. Speed reading software delivers enjoyable and fast paced training, thus giving the consistent practice necessary to break lifelong slow reading habits. This is the task that seminars and speed reading books usually leave up to the reader.

Hope this helped; good luck!