Cris
Cris asked in HealthDental · 8 years ago

What kind of dental sealing is applied in case of loss of enamel?

My lower premolar’s enamel is so weakened near the gum that it hurts whenever something touches it, even toothpaste. It’s neither gingivitis nor a cavity to be filled; it’s just loss of enamel which I feel is happening on top of another sensitive molar. My dentist said it was probably because of aggressive brushing and suggested, eventually, a sort of a sealant to be applied. I didn’t want to insist with any more questions, so I’m asking on this forum:

What kind of sealant or filling was he talking about? If it is this kind: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_sealant , wouldn’t it be too late to apply it since there is no enamel to be placed upon?

Does it take some part of the tooth when it wears off? Because in that case it would turn into a cavity and it would be difficult (read "difficult" as "very painful for me"), I think, to make a filling so close to the gum.

Will this solution hurt because the sealant will be in permanent contact with the orifices that lead to the nerves?

I know I have to do something quick because it will only get worse in time. There may be a lot of questions, but I'm kind of worried and, as a general information, I’m just discovering what it’s like to pay a lot of money on never-ending health issues.

Thank you for your time.

• CJ
    Favorite Answer

I have no idea what brand or kind it is but my dentist has applied bonding to a couple of my teeth a few times in the past. It's quick and painless to have done, but is not permanent. It doesn't damage your teeth as it wears away. It's kind of like a weaker version of the enamel they're replacing and when it has worn away they will just put another coat on. They will put it over the exposed dentine and it doesn't matter that the enamel is all gone. I can't say how long it will last, but I can tell you that the relief it provides is immediate. Good luck.

Sure, molars have deep developmental grooves - some people have relatively deep ones that are generally unattainable to preserve smooth given that toothbrush bristles are too thick to get into them. A usual process for this, in particular on youngsters, is to apply a sealant. The dentist would smooth out the stain and any decay, then etch it with a gel, rinse and dry, then follow the sealant - which is as a rule the identical fabric as a white filling, best thinner in order that it could drift into the entire grooves. That way, food and debris and micro organism can not get into the grooves so there might be less danger of decay on the biting surface. Sealants, if applied adequately, could last as long as a white filling, however in view that they're in a high affect area, they are more succeptible to wearing down. I would not propose "enlarging the gaps". And, if the sealants are nonetheless intact, I see no must remove them and replace them; but if they fall out, then sure, replace them.