Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 8 years ago

Enabling network adapter cuts off internet even though my wireless adapter is connected to the internet.?

before this problem I was successfully connected via wifi and a wired connection, the wireless connection through an ASUS PCE-N15 card and wired through an onboard ethernet port, now i have to disable the network adapter so that the wireless connection can work, when the network adapter is enabled it says no internet access(the wireless still says internet access) and i can't get on the internet(note that troubleshooting the network adapter reveals nothing)

I am in a college dorm and have not messed with the router nor modem, and have no access to manually configure both

@MAX, I did the following(unsure what parts actually fixed the problem)

I reinstalled the asus software, i downloaded a network controller driver for the adapter, afterthat i connected the desktop to my laptop and on the laptop disabled a virtual wifi network while at the desktop i hit diagnose again and things went slightly differently, after that i disconnected the desktop from my laptop and plugged that end into my dorm room's wall port(at this point i now have the wireless connection with access to the internet and the wired connection(network 2) with access to the internet), i hope nothing changes now

Favorite Answer

Your confusing things al little with both connections.

If you want to have the wireless for internet and the wired for local network access you can change the metrics in your wireless and network card adapters or better yet just remove the Default Gateway IP address from your wired connection and your computer will attempt to use the wireless for all off network connections.

This is nothing new, updated network driver require that one of the adaptors to be stopped so as to prevent IP conflict. Did you update your network adaptor setting recently?.

I have checked the model of your adaptor and came acros this site ( link below), read the info under the deadings:

WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup)

Software AP Mode

http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Adapters/PCE...

If you don't find this helpful then you need to do things the hard way, meaning un install the software that came with your network card and install it again, and re connect.

Hope you find the above troubleshoting helpful.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional Details

1- Why do you need to obtain connections via Lan and Wireless at the same time?

2-Secondly, there might be a proble with the network port in your dorm, ask one of your friends to connect to the port in your dorm via Lan and test to see if its live. If the port proves to be working for your friend then un install the adaptor software and re install it again from the CD that came with the adaptor.

Hope you find this helpful, let me know how you get on.

For the slender it does no longer favor a instant community Adapter. it really is going to settle for WEP and WPA keys. If it gained't connect verify you Modem/Router sercurity settings you've gotten to let it by some skill. in case you nevertheless won't be able to connect verify with the adult men you purchased you Xbox from.