does the president of the LDS church preside over the whole as a prophet or just the church and its members?

The duty of the President is to preside over the whole Church and to be like unto Moses, to be prophet, D&C 107: 91-92. We believe in prophets, A of F 1: 6.

does God ever call any other men to be prophets over other churches and nations, or not? why?

another typo, i meant to ask whether the prophet/president presides over the "whole earth"

• rac
    Favorite Answer

As we believe it to be, each leader is called to preside over the church within their assigned area. However, that also includes all other citizens within their boundaries as well. In other words, the bishop is responsible for the members in his ward and is also responsible for all other people within his boundaries in that he is the presiding high priest for that geographic area and is therefore responsible to see that God's teachings, commandments, covenants and ordinances are spread to all people within his realm. Thus, the bishop is responsible for the three fold mission of the church for his area, redeem the dead, strengthen the saints and spread the gospel.

That said, you can apply that principle all the way up the ecclesiastical chain. The Stake President is responsible for all the people within his stake, both member and citizen alike. If they have the gospel, then he needs to strengthen them. If they don't yet have the gospel, then he needs to get it to them.

The President of the Church has responsibility for all the world. First, he oversees the needs of the church and secondly, he oversees the spiritual welfare of the whole world. He needs to see that the gospel is preached in all the world. He needs to see that family history records and discovered and processed in the temples of the church. He needs to strengthen and encourage the saints throughout the world.

So, to answer your question, yes, the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints presides over all the earth and is responsible for all of God's children, both living and dead because it is his assignment to see to it that the ordinances of the priesthood are extended to all of God's children. That is the work of the Holy Melchizedek Priesthood and that is the work and glory of our God and of the Saints of God.

P.S. there is only one prophet on the earth at a time who has the keys to the priesthood and is authorized to use those keys in God's name. Thus, Thomas S. Monson is the prophet of our day and there will be no other prophet holding the keys of God's authority until Monson is taken and another is needed.

Source(s): my LDS opinion

The papal authority claims Peter became the 1st pope and all the popes are referred to as by ability of God by apostolic succession. The LDS prophet, seer, and revelator is the workplace of the President of the church holds from visitations and visions of God and previous human beings of apostolic authority who bestowed authority and priesthood keys to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery in visions in 1829 (D&C 13) and interior the Kirkland Temple ( D&C area a hundred and ten). definite they are patriarchal and centralized.

• phrog

a prophet is a prophet for his time....his "call" to come to God goes out to all. however, his guidance is only paid attention to on the whole by those members.

I think God has need of only one prophet now - because of the media available to enable that one prophet to reach everywhere. back in the day - of course there were more than one....there were prophets in the americas (BoM) and in the old world (bible) @the same time.

• ?

Just the church and it's members.

Does he "call" others?

Not sure. Even if the answer is "no," he is obviously pleased with the work of many good men and women.

God calls men and women all over the Earth to serve Him in the ways Jesus described in the Bible. (For many are called, but few are chosen. - Matthew 22:14) The Mormon prophet is simply the CEO of the Mormon corporation & church. He has not performed any miracles. He hasn't provided any prophecies. I haven't seen anything to convince me that he is a prophet like Moses. But he is a very good man, and I believe that he is sincere in his service to God.

Just my opinions:

People can be inspired by god at various times regardless of who they are or what religion they belong to. I wouldn't be surprised if people like Constantine, Martin Luther, and even Inventors have been inspired by god to fulfill various necessary events in the his design. Are they prophets? No. A 'prophet' is the spokesman of god and as such is generally only one. However technically anyone who is inspired by god and has a testimony of christ is a prophet.

10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy. (New Testament, Revelation, Chapter 19)

All truth can be circumscribed into one great whole: all truth comes from god. LDS always say there is truth in all things, Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism, Methodism etc all have truth in there. Are the authors prophets? No. But are they inspired by god? I think so at least in part.

Take me for example; I have had heaps of 'revelations' at various times in the temple and at other times. I've had all sorts of otherwise unexplainable coincidences happen to me which I can only explain that god lives. I have received revelation from god. If I wanted, I could go away and like Muhammad write over forty years a long book which contains various peices of wisdom I've gained, some stories of my life, and chuck in these revelations I've had and call it a book of scripture. Was part of my book inspired by god? Yes. Am I a prophet and the book from god? No. It's just a book containing true things and a few things I've learned from god. This is how I explain things like the Quran which I don't think is a book from god but I don't ignore the possibility that Mahamad may have at points had revelation from god. After all in some ways (not what you see on tv I've actually been to Islamic states) in some ways it is a beautiful religion. Part of that must be inspired.

What is the purpose of our prophet now? What's president monson required for? To declare coca cola okay? To reveal more ancient scripture? I don't think it's required. His role at the moment is to provide direction for the members and to lead the church in building up the kingdom of god. Does god need him to lead us across a desert, or find buried scriptural documents, or reveal new doctrines, or attempt to become the president of the united states? No I don't think so, at least not at the moment. I think the prophet is required to be the spokesman of god when required nothing more. He doesn't need to be doing freakish acts he's just a humble servant of the lord.

If you mean would god call a moses-like prophet to another church? No I don't think so and it would be counterintuitive to think that if you're LDS. It wouldn't make sense. I've been to other churches and watched heaps of Christian videos and sermons by preacher and pastors and one thing that always strikes me is the absence of the spirit. Not all the time though as there have been times where I have felt the holy ghost at other churches, but nothing like when I'm at general conference, that is way more powerful. Would god support people joining a baptist church or the catholic church? Well I don't know. But I would say A church is better than no church and so I think that its possible that some leaders of other churches will likely receive guidance from the holy ghost to promote faith in.god.

6 And whatsoever thing is good is just and true; wherefore, nothing that is good denieth the Christ, but acknowledgeth that he is. (Book of Mormon, Moroni, Chapter 10)

13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. (New Testament, John, Chapter 14)

20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. (New Testament, Matthew, Chapter 18)

These things apply regardless of what church you belong to.

Simon

He presides over his business church just like one of those CEO people running a bank that charges high and unfair interest rates.

Joseph Smith is their prophet. Didn't know they had other prophets too.

• cynic

the LDS "church" is a cult..