I'm utterly confused the more I delve into politics?

For the future of the American standards we are accustomed to it's my duty to stay informed about who we elect to represent us the people into the government. The more research I do however the more I find myself baffled as to why things are so black and white between Democrats and Republicans (no pun... show more For the future of the American standards we are accustomed to it's my duty to stay informed about who we elect to represent us the people into the government. The more research I do however the more I find myself baffled as to why things are so black and white between Democrats and Republicans (no pun intended). It seems both parties are spouting "our way or the highway" instead of working together for the common good. I lean towards Republican views but some views are so absurd.

For instance "the war on women", it's no secret Republicans are pro-life (which I am as well) but they fail to outline the exceptions such as rape, incest, or grievous fetal impairment. In such cases I think it should be done but, here's the big but, not at the expense of the tax payer which Democrats are for. Then there are the equal pay rates for women, Republicans seem to want to stifle and keep women under paid and have men be the bread winners. Then there is the gay rights issue were Republicans are so anti-gay anything where I believe it shouldn't matter at all if two people of the same sex love each other and want to get married.

The Affordable Healthcare Act from the Democrats was actually created by the Republican party but why the Democrats made it their own is confusing to me. I really don't see how it will help the health care system and I find the debate of it being unconstitutional compelling. Pay this thug or that other thug and you'll be fine, if you don't we'll garnish your wages; very mob style.

Amnesty for illegal immigrants through the DREAM Act is another issue that I'm not seeing any good coming from it but I'm open to what other people think. What are the pros ans cons?

I'd love to have informed answers and beliefs other than "because the TV told me so" and please people, be civil and respectable.