Please explain this to me, Republicans?

I had the misfortune of riding with my Republican mother for an hour today. Out of respect for her, I listened to what she wanted to listen to: Rush Limbaugh. Although I find his rhetoric laughable and riddled with logical fallacies, I used to find him entertaining an even agreed with him about a lot of things back... show more I had the misfortune of riding with my Republican mother for an hour today. Out of respect for her, I listened to what she wanted to listen to: Rush Limbaugh. Although I find his rhetoric laughable and riddled with logical fallacies, I used to find him entertaining an even agreed with him about a lot of things back in the 90s. I tolerated his partisan schtick with relatively good humor and refrained from making snide comments when he criticized Democrats for things one could just as easily turn around and criticize Republicans for.

But where it became too much to bear for me was when a commercial came on for a film entitled 2016: Obama's America. The ad claimed that Obama "dreams of a diminished America." I laughed. Not only did I laugh out loud when I heard that assertion, I took both hands off the wheel and rubbed them together and did my best Evil Scientist laugh. I was envisioning Barack going to bed at night, sleeping with his head on his pillow and an angelic smile on his face, dreaming of ways to "diminish America." I envisioned cabinet meetings where Obama asks his advisers: "We have got to come up with better ways to wreck America. We're still too powerful. We're still too healthy. We need to come up with ways to turn the US into a third world nation. Now who's got some REAL IDEAS?"

My mother gave me a dirty look. Not only was she appalled that I would remove both my hands from the steering wheel, but she said haughtily, "You laugh, but I genuinely believe that that's his intent."

Seriously? The President of the United States is dreaming of ways to diminish the country he governs? I mean, sure, I could accept it if a Republican wanted to suggest that Obama's ideas for the country are going to have negative repercussions and will have the result of weakening the nation. But the suggestion that Barack Obama is intentionally, maliciously plotting America's demise from inside the Oval Office? Good god, it's so ridiculous, I couldn't even have answered my mother's assertion without calling her an idiot. Because that's what these assertions are: complete idiocy.

So explain this to me, Republicans: How can otherwise intelligent human beings fall into such narrow-minded patterns of thinking that they would believe such ridiculous fictions?

Thanks for your insights into the potential defects of the human mind.

-Occulty

oh, by the way. I'm libertarian/anarchist. I'm no fan of the Democrats or of the policies specific to the Obama Administration. But I can disagree with his policies and his political philosophy without asserting that his ultimate goal is to sink the country...