S
Lv 5
S asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 7 years ago

What is a "green" way to wash fruits & veggies? Is it ok to use dish soap and water?

I wash them with Dawn dish soap. Is that ok, or is there a "green" method that should be used instead?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Best Answer

Dr Bronners liquid hand soap I just read on one of my Yahoo Groups. A member called the corporate headquarters to see if it was safe and they said yes because it is a pure castile soap with minimal chemical additives. Another member who is an RN said it is so safe they use it in enemas. The member said her veggies had never been so clean and no waxy residue from the oils stores spray on them.

• 7 years ago

You should not use soap to wash fruits and veggies. Just rinse in plain water, twice if you like to. The soapy taste is not appetizing and takes away the flavor of the food. The greenish way is just clean plain water.

• 7 years ago

Personally, I wash all my fruits and veggies. I have a veggie brush to scrub the skins of fruits, using a drop of Ivory Liquid soap, then rinse off. I do the same with all the veggies. Lettuce, and all leaf veggies, I wash in a bowl and then spin in a salad spinner.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Wash in plain water, use a vegetable brush where appropriate. But don't use dish soap, that will contaminate the food and is not good for you.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

At the most I use plain water. If they don't have obvious bugs or dirt on them I often don't wash them at all. Think of all the water that saves! I have heard of people washing their vegies with vinegar added to the water.

• 7 years ago

The "green" way is to just use water. What is on them that you're needing sopa to remove?

But for whatever reason, if you need to use soap, choose a dishsoap that is bio-degradable and phosphate-free.

• bond
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Just water. Soap reside is not for ingesting.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.