A moment of noise please, in honor of Keith Moon, who passed out and passed away 34 years ago today?

...but he was such a charismatic person, the London Olympics committee wanted him to play at this year's Closing Ceremonies...that would've been something, wouldn't it? Even *I* would've watched that!

Keith Moon played the drums like a lead instrument for what is arguably the best live band that has ever performed.

MQ: Best The Who song featuring Keith Moon? Videos always appreciated!

BQ: If The Who aren't the best live band EVER, who is? Make a case, please, because I need the proof that there is someone better out there. Thank you!

@Bend it happend at the Cow Palace in 1973, Keith overdosed on horse tranqulizers (!) and had to be carried off stage. They pulled this guy, Scott Halpin, out of the audience to sit in. Could you image what was going through his head as he played this most awesome song with this awesome band?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B92DK5zoH8

Youtube thumbnail

(((Stella))) (((Moley))) Love you guys!

• Favorite Answer

Here is some HD of the Isle of Wright show (how they do that?) which should be as good as Leeds, but you get to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJCXpFy0E5s

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

London Olympics thought Moon is alive?

I can't see why the, small in amounts, but always steady, comments of anti Moon? Well I'm looking into a dark bottomless tank of "who T F R U". I suppose.

I would say a description of Energy is "The Who". In the days of minimal stage effects, "The Who" was the stage effect. I have longed for that pure showmanship for decades now. I take that back. I did see the Who, again, around the year 2000, I'm guessing, doing the Quadraphenia Tour. There was visual effects but that married into the Quadraphenia show. I would not say, for the most part, they performed at a lower level. For some of the loss in physical energy there was a equal balance of added synthesized instrumentation. Rodger's voice strained on a couple of his monster dynamic notes. I would expect that.

Pete Townshend ..... is brilliant in many ways.

John Entwhistle ...... is Mr. Bassman.

Back to Moon. It's that energy component again, as well as the wisely said comments made already.

Rock and Roll = Energy ................... Energy = The Who

That's my argument. And I'll stay out of anybody's business and just say: "Long Live Rock" and that becomes reality because of the WHO

Keith Lived Hard and went Fast ..... Now he may rest ..... I think!

i saw the who twice, once in 1976 and once in 1989 with stevie ray vaughan. they were way better in 76, and i still have hearing problems from that show.

ma: good question...and this might be the best live performance by a rock band, kinda feel sorry for the rolling stones getting blown off the stage by the who.

a quick one while he's away from the rolling stones rock and roll circus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glU9-_KZ8FM

Youtube thumbnail

ba: i've seen a lot of shows, but the best live band i've ever seen is the grateful dead, but they were also the worst. there is something about a band making music on the spot, and on the fly...music that was never heard before and would never be heard again. the dead did that, sure they played songs, but it was when they went out into left field that it got interesting. of course, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. i've heard the dead say that at those times when it did the music wasn't coming from them, but through them...and the crowd was just as much a part of the band as the guys making the music.

the dead and the who played 2 shows together in 1976, and pete townshend sat in with the dead in 1981.

in one of my books i read the reason was that jerry wanted to score some persian heroin before a european tour and had called pete. but pete didn't know where to get any, and if i remember correctly pete called keith richards. keith met jerry at the airport with a large supply.

Good old Moon.

I saw The Who live twice. Once at the Ricky Tick club in Windsor in 1965 and a few years later at Mother's club in Birmingham. Townshend announced coolly that they were going to do Tommy. What? I thought - do Tommy live ? That's impossible. It's a concept album man.

But they launched into it and would have got through it if Moon hadn't collapsed. He did not collapse as a mere mortal. He went right over his drum kit without knocking anything over and landed in a heap. They went off for about 20 minutes, came back and carried on where they had left off.

So are so right about him being a 'lead' drummer. But under the flamboyant tom-toms and cymbals, there was powerhouse solid rhythm too. Fvck knows how he did it.

Edit : thinking about that. He never had to. Townshend and Entwhistle were the timekeepers of the band, keeping it tight while allowing Moon his freedom. Thinking about some jazz classes I attended where a great revelation was that the bass not the drums keeps the tempo. As Danny Richmond said : everyone knows where one two three and four are, so why should I play them - a sentiment Moon would have agreed with.

One of my favorite things involving Moon the Loon is the footage of him passing out on stage and they let a guy from the audience play drums to finish the show. I hope someone can help me remember where I saw that. I thought it was shown on "The Kids Are Alright" movie but I combed through it recently and it's not there. Where did I see that footage?

MQ- The drums in Won't Get Fooled Again are beyond Classic.

BQ- The Who "were" The Loudest Band in The World" IMO The Rolling Stones were the Greatest Live Show along with Led Zeppelin.

@Sugaree: Hence, the reason the Stones didn't release the R&R Circus at the time and until near 30 yrs later. (And yes that's Tony Iommi with Jethro Tull) :)

BLayaaaaaaa! that's not a question but I'll play along. Keith Mooooon! Blahyayaaaaaa!

Okay now I can move on to the BQ: I don't know what band is the best live band ever, but I know of a band that is more impressive live than The Who. Here is my proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ouPGGLI6Q

Youtube thumbnail

• Keith Moon and John Bonham are at the top of my all time drummer list. Both were excellent live. Kith was very innovative and his style influenced many of the drummers that followed. The Who did produce probably the best "Live" album of all time in "Live at Leeds" but there are others that are close.

MQ - I Need You - Keith wrote and did the vocals for this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anArhoqT3yo

Youtube thumbnail

BQ - The Who would have to be considered at the top of Live bands but Led Zeppelin was also known as a great live band. It's kind of fitting that John Bonham and Keith were friends. In fact Keith helped give Zeppelin it's name. Other great live bands are The Allman Brothers Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Grand Funk Railroad, Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band, Blue Oyster Cult and The Rolling Stones

Then we will immediately do 10 shots and choke on our own vomit.

I don't know about the best live band thing, all in all I think they were the most talented set of musicians out the whole British wave, which leans toward your claim.

This may not be a great demonstration of his drumming - but there is plenty of the "noise" and it shows he could tone it down when needed. Plus it is my favorite Who song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzIwRpFDZ8I

Youtube thumbnail

• Gerry

Kelly,

as a kid who couldn't like or love Keith Moon? He was simply genius and for the artists out there in this world (to include those that showed up here answering honestly) these words don't do his talent justice. It is not for you, me, or anyone to "judge" another ~ that determination comes from a higher authority. For his music and all the gifts he presented to me, you, and others here there could never and will never be another like Mr. Keith Moon.

All the best ~ your History geek friend,

Gerry

Yeah he was brilliant. One of my favourite tracks for his performance is the somewhat obscure Leaving Here (1965), the rhythm is fantastic.

Of their better known songs I would go for Baba O Riley. But Cobwebs and Strange was also great !

I've never come across a better live act than The Who.

My Generation (Live at Leeds)-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzK02LDkpIc

Youtube thumbnail

BQ: I can think of one but you won't agree, and you know who that is. But I'll let Pete Townshend back me up on that. Quote: "I"m really an absolute Stone's fan, and always have been. Their early shows were just shocking, absolutely riveting and stunning and moving and they changed my life completely. The Stones will always to the greatest for me, They epitomize British rock for me." Pete Townshend.

Plus I have seen the Stones 6 times and the Who 3, but I still have to say Live at Leeds is one of the best live albums ever made.

But Kell, I'm staying with th eStones on this one.

take care dave