Describe the fugitive act and why most northerners opposed it?

I'm doing history homework and couldn't find any answers:( a little help please?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The Fugitive Slave Act of 1793

For the better security of the peace and friendship now entered into by the contracting parties, against all infractions of the same, by the citizens of either party, to the prejudice of the other, neither party shall proceed to the infliction of punishments on the citizens of the other, otherwise than by securing the offender, or offenders, by imprisonment, or any other competent means, till a fair and impartial trial can be had by judges or juries of both parties, as near as can be, to the laws, customs, and usage's of the contracting parties, and natural justice: the mode of such trials to be hereafter fixed by the wise men of the United States, in congress assembled, with the assistance of such deputies of the Delaware nation, as may be appointed to act in concert with them in adjusting this matter to their mutual liking.

The Fugitive Slave Act of 1850

Any person aiding a runaway slave by providing shelter, food or any other form of assistance was liable to six months' imprisonment and a $500 fine ­ an expensive penalty in those days. Those officers capturing a fugitive slave were entitled to a fee and this encouraged some officers to kidnap free Negroes and sell them to slave-owners. Frederick Douglass, Wendell Phillips, William Lloyd Garrison and John Greenleaf Whittier led the fight against the law. If an escaped slave was sighted, he or she should be apprehended and turned in to the authorities for deportation back to the "rightful" owner down south. It was thought that the Fugitive Slave Act would diminish the incentive for slaves to attempt escape. The rationale behind this was the slaves' realization that even if they managed to escape from their plantation, they could still be caught and returned by any citizen in the United States. Even moderate anti-slavery leaders such as Arthur Tappan declared he was now willing to disobey the law and as result helped fund the Underground Railroad.

• 4 years ago

I used to chat to him and gave all of them my deposit bottles. that's the only element he could take. each and every each and every now and then he could take a sandwich and juice. I extremely have been searching for him and he's not any the place to be got here across. I extremely have ask a chum of our who made him a room for him to stay via fact he only had to sleep with the horses. He stayed there for a jointly as interior the iciness yet now neither people can locate him everywhere. we are issue that something could have occurred to him. could God shop him. he's a sturdy guy that did no longer be attentive to what to do. He lost his kinfolk and variety of lost his strategies. I nevertheless want to help. i do no longer be attentive to once you're saying random acts of kindness. you spot the want and you do as your heart strikes you. I extremely relies upon in case you enable your self be practice with the aid of the occasion of Jesus Christ, or your dad and mom practice you.A Random act may well be something. a grin and a hi for an aged individual who seems lonely and unhappy. it fairly is sitting with somebody death of point 4 maximum cancers speaking approximately issues you shared interior the previous or what they enjoyed. it fairly is feeding a stray or giving the wild existence rehabber needed cleansing soap, newspapers or maybe funds to purchase nutrition. choosing up a stray wild animal or chicken that's harm and taking them to a rehabber. battling in case you have stored going and doing something you only can do. that is all in front people yet being wrapped up in your self, that is demanding to work out. positioned down the telephone, Ipod or regardless of and stay.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.