How to get the dog to stop eating the trash?

The last 3 weeks our dog keep getting into the trash. We could leave for 10 minutes and you can bet that we when get back the trash is all over the house. We have tried the "bad dog" approach and we also put the trash in a cabinet but he somehow figured out how to get the door open and get into it.... show more The last 3 weeks our dog keep getting into the trash. We could leave for 10 minutes and you can bet that we when get back the trash is all over the house. We have tried the "bad dog" approach and we also put the trash in a cabinet but he somehow figured out how to get the door open and get into it.

Its not that hes hungry because he could eat a whole bowl of food and still get into the trash right after. Along with getting into the trash he also has been eating the food off the counter, it has got so bad that I cannot run to the bathroom while preparing food or leaving my child eating at the table because he will get it.

We are at the end of our ropes. We knew that Treeing Coonhounds were hard to train and even harder to maintain the "leader of the pack" but we are running out of ideas. We, for now, our kenneling him when we leave or eat but this is something that we don't want to have to do. We would like him to be able to be out like our toy poodle.

Please help! Any ideas are welcome, we've tried everything. Its starting to cause problems in my marriage because I am ready to get rid of him but the husband refuses to accept defeat. We used to have a lot of problems with him but for the few months before this started he was really being a great dog!
Update: I tried the child lock but it doesnt help when I am the only one that locks it - and the husband complains about the lock. We walk him daily, go to the dog park, and yes we do take him hunting and do other "hunting games" while at the house. We tried getting a new trash can but he conquered it too. Me... show more I tried the child lock but it doesnt help when I am the only one that locks it - and the husband complains about the lock. We walk him daily, go to the dog park, and yes we do take him hunting and do other "hunting games" while at the house. We tried getting a new trash can but he conquered it too.

Me wanting to get rid of him is not soley his fault. I get no cooperation from my husband to help correct the behaviour or do other things to insure he doesn't get into it. and as I said above - this is not our only issue with him. I have taken him to classes ect. but without the husbands help I get no where and frankly am tired of picking up the trash and arguing with the hubby over the dog - thus me wanting to get rid of him.