that gurl asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

How to get the dog to stop eating the trash?

The last 3 weeks our dog keep getting into the trash. We could leave for 10 minutes and you can bet that we when get back the trash is all over the house. We have tried the "bad dog" approach and we also put the trash in a cabinet but he somehow figured out how to get the door open and get into it.

Its not that hes hungry because he could eat a whole bowl of food and still get into the trash right after. Along with getting into the trash he also has been eating the food off the counter, it has got so bad that I cannot run to the bathroom while preparing food or leaving my child eating at the table because he will get it.

We are at the end of our ropes. We knew that Treeing Coonhounds were hard to train and even harder to maintain the "leader of the pack" but we are running out of ideas. We, for now, our kenneling him when we leave or eat but this is something that we don't want to have to do. We would like him to be able to be out like our toy poodle.

Please help! Any ideas are welcome, we've tried everything. Its starting to cause problems in my marriage because I am ready to get rid of him but the husband refuses to accept defeat. We used to have a lot of problems with him but for the few months before this started he was really being a great dog!

I tried the child lock but it doesnt help when I am the only one that locks it - and the husband complains about the lock. We walk him daily, go to the dog park, and yes we do take him hunting and do other "hunting games" while at the house. We tried getting a new trash can but he conquered it too.

Me wanting to get rid of him is not soley his fault. I get no cooperation from my husband to help correct the behaviour or do other things to insure he doesn't get into it. and as I said above - this is not our only issue with him. I have taken him to classes ect. but without the husbands help I get no where and frankly am tired of picking up the trash and arguing with the hubby over the dog - thus me wanting to get rid of him.

Favorite Answer

Keep him in another room when you prepare food, put your trash up out of his reach, crate him ---

all sufficient to solve your problem, why would you get rid of him?

You human, he dog, you have got to be smarter than he is. Lots of dogs would get into the trash if it were accessible to them, just make sure it isn't.

Forget the pack leader nonsense and use common sense.

Note: Problem is your husband I suspect, not so much the dog. Please, please don't resent the dog because of your husband's lack of support. The dog will be gone, your husband will still be the same selfish person he already is. You need to have a good talk with hubby, tell him in plain words how he is failing you - not just the dog - and get to clearly undderstand how he needs to shape up and take responsibility around the house.

The dog will be a better bet to train I suspect - or just keep the trash out of his reach if that's your main problem with him.

Sorry to the previous poster, but the "pack leader" idea is critical here. Your dog does not respect you and does not see you as an authority figure. I'm a Cesar Millan fan but many trainers and rescue workers will tell you exactly the same thing -- if you make the rules and enforce them he'll follow you, with or without your husband's cooperation.

Be vigilant and consistent. Not only is the trash can off limits, so is the entire cabinet, your counter, your table and your plates. Do not let him within a few feet of you while you are working with food -- send him back to the doorway or another room and if he tries to come back into your space, send him back again. This is YOUR house, YOUR food, YOUR trash can. It's YOUR choice who has access to them. Stand up straight and use that as a mantra if you have to.

While you're working on this, get a heavy trash can with a good lid that closes on its own. My dogs hate scented trash bags and since they're scent hounds that helped when we needed reinforcement early on. I also put especially appetizing things inside sealed bags, or left them in sealed containers in the fridge until trash day. Even if you can't smell it, your dog can.

You can do this, and once you conquer this issue all other issues you might be having with him will clear up with it.

Source(s): personal experience
  • pauljr

searching on the room, I conceal the trash or use lined cans. contained in the kitchen I positioned the trash less than the sink and use a secure practices lock to carry the doors close. contained in the tub and bedrooms i exploit more than a number of lined cans mutually with 1 with a locking lid in my sons room and the step style the position the lid pops up, and that i also positioned a trash can contained in the closet yet that door is often close. There aren't any uncovered, loose get admission to cans in my domicile. I truly have 3 canine (2 great canine, one small canine) and a cat and they don't get into the trash. They get into each and every thing else, yet not trash!

Crate, baby gate, use a covered trash can, put a latch on the cupboard that he cannot open, put food flavored trash in an outside trash can, use a scat mat.....

It's not rocket science.

I can't imagine wanting to get rid of a dog simply because he gets into the trash.

Although I have to wonder why you would get a hunting dog if you don't want to hunt with him.

*******

Sounds like the husband is the problem, not the dog. I would be inclined to leave the trash for him to pick up, if he can't be bothered to fasten a latch.

Or let him come up with a solution if he doesn't like yours.

You can teach "go to mat" and stay on the mat but that can take a while. While you teaching it, you can block access to the kitchen.

Also, use Dr Karen Overall's Relaxation Protocol to help your dog stay in the mat. Leave out the physical manipulation parts of the exercise

Crating him is better than getting rid of him.

My dog did this for some time. A friend suggested (half joking) that we tie a light weight bag of trash around him and see if it does the trick.

After nothing else would work, we did just that. I tied a garbage bag that was about half full of garbage to my dog's harness collar. He totally spazzed out and ran around like crazy (under supervision). He was so "traumatized" by the incident that he never got into the trash again! It worked for us! He is a jack russel/feist mix by the way. Hope this helps!

One of my dogs got into the trash, so I bought one of those trash cans that you have to step on a pedal to open, then it closes automatically. It's heavy enough so they have a hard time tipping it over. If I put anything that even smells good into a lightweight trash basket....it's like a guarantee he will knock it over. Good luck.

A well-trained dog makes everyone happy, including his owner. Take a little time training him, and you'll never regret it; you'll always have an obedient dog by your side. Go here http://OnlineDogTraining.enle.info/?5462

For the potty training: Try taking her out every hour on the hour and don't bring her back inside until she potties! And as soon as she finishes pottying give her a tasty snack and reward and praise her. The best way to potty train is to prevent accidents, so if you can, get some pet scent remover and clean your house from top to bottom. Wal-Mart has some stuff called "OUT! Natural" and it works very well. It smells like lemons and herbs and it also removes stains. Then, if you can, get pee-pee pads. LOTS of them. Line your entire floor with them if you have to securing the seams with scotch tape. Only replace the ones she potties on daily. Leave the rest. After while you can start removing them one at a time until there are only a few left. It sounds complicated but it works. Most people use this trick for small rooms like a bath room or bedroom they have to leave the dog in when they go somewhere. Sooner or later she'll get down to just pottying on one pad, and then you slowly move it a few inches towards your door every day. Then move it outside. You should never punish a puppy for pottying in the house, only prevent it, and reward them for going in the proper place. And don't clean up the mess when they're watching. It's like a mind game for them.

For the chewing: Get her rawhide toys, bones, Greenies, rope toys, balls, squeaky toys and anything else you find at the store that's made for dogs and she might enjoy. Give her 2 or 3 a day, and rotate them so she only has the same ones for a day or two and she won't get bored with them. I understand you're against physical punishment, but really you should try using a loud newspaper or paper towel roll (that's empty of course), or an envelope with the plastic window thing in it. Just something that makes a lot of noise but doesn't cause pain. I found the envelope works best. Keep a very good eye on her at all times, and when you see he headed for something she shouldn't have tell her NO! If you can stop her before she gets to it that really speeds up the training. If not it's okay, just tell her no, and if she doesn't respond, tell her a second time and follow up with the paper.

For the crate training: It's best to work on this when you leave the house and no one is around. Doing it at night keeps everyone up and it's just annoying. Put her in the crate, and cover it with an old blanket so she can't see you leaving. When you leave it doesn't matter how much she cries, she'll take the hint that crying won't get her her way. And whatever you do, never ever ever let her out of the crate while she's crying. This enforces the behavior and you'll never get her trained to sit there without crying. If you can't get her to quiet right before you take her out, make a loud noise like clapping your hands and as soon as she's quiet you can let her out.

I hope it all works out for you... if you need any more help feel free to e-mail me. I can look up some of the sites I got my training info for you. Oh, and Bull Dogs are very stubborn by nature, they take longer than some breeds to catch on to and respond to training.

Put a little bit of chili powder in the garbage or use a cotton ball soaked in ammonia. Dogs hate the smell of ammonia so only put a little bit. The chili powder will teach them to hate the taste of garbage as well

Get a kennel and put the dog in that while your gone also you can use it as a form of discipline.