Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 8 years ago

Can I get vanguard or T rowe price funds through fidelity...?

I'm not a big fan of the mutual fund accounts.

Never mind... Answered my own question. My new question is if my portfolio is to be 25% stocks, would getting a total stock market index fund (US) satisfy that?

I'm looking to invest 25% US Stocks, 10% Global Equities, 20% US Real Estate, 15% International Developed Markets Stocks/5% Emerging Markets, 10% US Treasuries and the rest in TIPS or to use as my sandbox. The money I'm looking to invest is around 8000 and I'm holding 5k for safety.

Favorite Answer

Yes, a total market index fund is a good choice to invest in the US stock market and its performance would be very close to the market averages, e.g. S&P500. Look for one with a low management fee.

You are attempting a broad diversification of your assets, which is a good policy as you get older. However, you say you only have $8,000 to invest and that's a very small nest egg. Your 5% in emerging markets would only amount to a pittance of $400 and your brokerage commissions would take a disproportionate share of your assets. If that's true, forget about any foreign stock. If you are a young person I would recommend that you put most of your assets in aggressive growth companies or fund.