Do Christians Lack Sexual Self-Control?

A LOT of emphasis is placed on marriage within most Christian denominations. It is almost an expectation of any "good Christian" to get married and have lots of kids. Yet in 1 Corinthians 7:7-9 , 27-29, Paul said marriage was only for those who lacked self-control and a way out of having to resort to... show more A LOT of emphasis is placed on marriage within most Christian denominations. It is almost an expectation of any "good Christian" to get married and have lots of kids.

Yet in 1 Corinthians 7:7-9 , 27-29, Paul said marriage was only for those who lacked self-control and a way out of having to resort to fornication to satisfy ones urges. He said the BETTER option is to be like he was- single and if you are widowed or without a spouse try and remain single.

Now, I know Paul and the Christians in his time believed the END WAS NIGH! The Gospels are full of doomsday messages like "Woe to the pregnant woman etc.!" Jesus encouraged people to forsake family and spouses for the same reason.

So I DO understand the context.

EXCEPT that modern day Christians also preach that the END IS NEAR! COMING SOON! JUST AROUND THE CORNER too.

So why the focus on marriage and baby-making? Paul said it was only for those who lack self-control, do most Chrsitians then lack the self-control to be celibate and focus on END which they say is coming any time now?
Update: Yun, I get what you are saying as far as the context goes. Also, in the Old Testament of course marriage and having children is celebrated as part of the Hebrew mandate to be fruitful and multiply. However, if the urgency of the End Times is also happening NOW as some Christians claim and quote both Paul and the... show more Yun, I get what you are saying as far as the context goes. Also, in the Old Testament of course marriage and having children is celebrated as part of the Hebrew mandate to be fruitful and multiply.

However, if the urgency of the End Times is also happening NOW as some Christians claim and quote both Paul and the Gospels about signs of the end as it applies to NOW. Why doesn't the treatment of marriage for "end times" also apply?
7 answers 7