whats the point in buying a 1000cc + sports bike?

or even a 600cc or 750cc sports bike for that matter because although they are extremely fast you can't use that speed on the road unless you're somewhere like germany, plus they're not that comfortable and don't get good miles to the gallon compared with other bikes.

so whats the point in buying them?

• Spewy
    Favorite Answer

I like them, they are fun, and yes, I ride them fast on Freeways here in So. Cal.. Hell, last FRiday I was doing over 145mph going down a Freeway in the carpool lane, so you writing that the speed can't be used here is incorrect. Just because you don't have the gonads or intestinal fortitude to ride great bikes doesn't mean the rest of us are as spineless, I've been riding them for over 25 years in So. Cal traffic, and I ride them hard.

Source(s): Riding over 27 years io Los Angeles traffic, have 7 streetbikes currently, from cruisers to sportbikes.

I would agree that some of them have no point unless you're going to a track. For instance, you don't hit the power curve in first gear on a R1 until you've already broken the speed limit. It does about 100mph in first gear and the real power is in the top of the tach, so you don't get to it until you're doing 70mph +. A gearing change can fix that. A Liter plus bike with a wide torque band however does make a bit more sense. On a bike like that, it pulls like a bat out of hell at legal speeds too.

I don't think the issue with super sports is the size of the engine. I would argue that the problem is the suspension. It's so refined that cornering becomes boring without extreme speeds. With that in mind, 600cc super sports are stupid for on street use also.

I will mention that I do own a liter plus v-twin sports bike, I find it to be a really fun bike, and I thoroughly enjoy riding it. I find ample opportunities to lay down the 150 hp while riding on road, and I can even top out first gear without fear of going to jail. Although, the fact that the front wheel is off the ground all the way through first gear could get me a pretty good ticket for excessive use of power. On the flip side, I would never buy an Inline four liter plus bike for any purpose other than run it on a track because that would be pointless IMHO.

Oh, and I get 40mpg + out of it so that would place me in the same mpg as most slow *** overgrown cruisers that can't get out of their own way.

I would agree that to really push my bike to it's limits, I would need to go to a track, but it is a lot more fun that a 600cc super sport even when you don't.

I also have to argue about "having more power than you need to get out of the way." When you're traveling at highway speeds, a smaller displacement bike needs 1 to 2 downshifts to really accelerate. a large displacement bike will pull hard enough to get out of the way without the shift. With that in mind, I haven't yet run into a situation where my 750cc (85hp) touring bike didn't have enough to get out of the way, but I have been in situations that required a downshift or two to prevent getting squished on the highway. Around town, the 750 is a rocket.

I think it's a case of "to each his own", but there are more reasons other than to show off, to own a large displacement sport bike.

• G6er

1000+cc cruisers get terrible mileage.. so compared to other bikes... They are better than some, worse than others.

Why get them? because they are fun.

the 125CC and 250cc have no acceleration, which can be handy when you get into some situations.

People who get a bike for the gas saving reason always worry me. They are not in it for the right reasons. Sports bike riding... is a sport (go figure) and is physically demanding. people need to have a passion for riding. riders that "want good economy" usually make for terrible riders.

As a side note, lots of guys i know take their bike to the track on weekends. so there is another reason right there.

Gray Man: I've been on 125's and 250's.. they are gutless. And i'm under 200lbs by a good margin so it's not like i'm asking a lot of the bike. And if you can't think of a situation where you have needed to accelerate to get out of a bad spot then I suspect you haven't been on a bike in a city ever. Whats rediculous to your simple window of the world makes perfect sense when applied to other people's experiences.

For looks I guess. A sexy bike is bike is enough for a guy to want it regardless of whether or not he plans on pushing that bad boy up to 180mph.

People buy things for various reason even if it wasnt the intended purpose. Some wealthy business men like to buy sporty two seater sport cars yet they're not taking advantage of its top speed and cornering capabilitlies. Rappers and **** like to buy huge suvs and yet they're not hitting the trails with it. Sometimes it pisses people off that they're wasting such a good machine but personally I don't care too much about it. It's their money and they can spend it on whatever they want whether or not I think it's a stupid idea.

I have a 2011 cbr 250 and fpr everyone who says they have no accleration doesnt know what they are talking about and have probally never ridden one they just assume that since they ride a big bike they know everything. I have ridden other bikes and for financial reasons i got a 250 i dont think i am any worse of a rider and i take my bike 60 miles on the freeway and i can out accelerate almost everyone. You dont need 70 horsepower on a 350 lbs machine to "get out of trouble" that is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard more like get into trouble. Not bashing the supersports they are def awesome and i would ride one if someone gave me one for free.

Always for power.600cc sportbikes seem like they have enough but in reality after about a week of riding it you realize you just want more power. My cbr900rr was a highly modified sportbike and it got 75+ mpg even when i was wrapping 11 grand on the tach. and call me stupid if you want to but i live in newark Ohio and i have had my cbr up to 200mph on some back country roads. remember its only illegal if you get caught.

Because 1000cc is better than 600cc fool

Showing off.

And you can totally use their power. Sure, you can't go the top speed, but you can do a 3.0 second quarter mile, and then back down again.

• One

Betcha your not watching a 19 inch T.V. anymore, right? If you are a man you will always want something bigger and more powerfull.

Same reason that people buy Porsches and Ferraris.

Boys toys.