How to keep eggs from sticking to my stainless steel pan?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Stainless steel does not accept "seasoning", and really dislikes being washed in soap/detergent. It almost always leaves some film behind, and that causes sticking problems.

White vinegar works much better when cleaning stainless steel pans. It.will even remove burnt-on foods. plus it rinses clean quite easily.

Steps from brand new:

First, be sure to wash it thoroughly, because it has to be clean. You can use soap in this step because there is no way to know what chemicals are already on the pan, including what ever may have been used to stick labels to it..

Second, pour in some white vinegar and let it boil for a few minutes, then cool.

Third, rinse away the vinegar and scrub away any debris with a soft scrubber. DO NOT wash again with soap/detergent..

Fourth, dry it thoroughly. You do not want water in the pan when it goes on the stove as dissolved chemicals such as calcium will stick to the pan as the water evaporates..

Fifth, put it on the stove and heat it.

Sixth, when it has become hot enough to cook with, add oil

Seventh, use a brush to distribute the oil across the surface evenly

It is now ready for cooking, so add your egg(s) and cook happily.

If cooking meats, you can spray/coat the meat with oil before it goes into the pan to get better results...

In future, pre-heat the pan before adding oil or food.

With stainless steel, always begin with a hot pan.

• 8 years ago

In catering, when using new/just washed carbon steel frying pans/skillets, we used to pour a layer of salt, 1/8th of an inch in the pan, then, if applicable, put in a low oven overnight, or with non-ovenproof handles etc, put over a VERY low heat for an hour or so. This "proofed" the pan. HOWEVER, i can't guarantee success on stainless steel, worth a try perhaps?

Source(s): Years of slaving over a hot stove.
  • 8 years ago

use sunflour oil and a bit of butter and salt the egg will soak up the butter and salt and make the eggs nicer as well as making it non sticky, you only need to rub the butter around the pand and on the sides before adding a tiny bit of oil and mixing it round so it covers the whole pan. If that doesnt work, you could try using this special non-stick paper :)

• Bill Z
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

as you can see, you get a lot of answers, all saying not to do what someone else says. i have been through all this and have decided that the best way is to not use them and get some non-stick pans and be done with it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

you may want butter, or some form of oil, so it would not stick, in case you have a wonderful volume of that and its heated nicely, the egg shouldn't stick. i could initiate with a medium warmth, then boost it once you place the eggs interior the pan.

• 8 years ago

Try spraying the pan with cooking spray before adding the egg.

• nosdda
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Add a pinch of salt to the cooking oil

• 8 years ago

using a better quality pan

• 8 years ago

we use salt.

Just add a little salt in oil when warming

Source(s): my mother
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

by low heat and dont overheat the oil before putting the egg... try maybe it would work :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.