Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 7 years ago

Italian-speakers: translation needed...?

Translate "food eater." Food is not the word, more of an example. I really need to know any noun and then "eater." I think "mangiatore" is the word for eater (right?) but I want to know how to phrase it correctly. Lets say in English it might be "food-eater" or "food eater" without the dash, but how does that work out in Italian? Can you put the dash mark?

• Jasper
    Favorite Answer

ingordo -> someone who eats lot of food

mangione -> same as above

golosone -> someone who loves eating food

mangia-cibo -> literally "food eater" (this word does not really exist)

buona forchetta -> literally "good fork", refers to someone expert about food and who loves refined food

I guess you're just looking for "ingordo"

I'm italian

This would sound as silly in Italian as it does in English.

Mangiatore follows the rules, but it's not a word as far as I know. Food eater would be 'mangiatore di cibo' but that sounds plain stupid.

I think you'd be better off following the examples of the Harry Potter translators - for Death Eaters, they sued Mangiamorte. I find it a lot less scary than the original, but at least it sounds ok.

Or you could use divoratore, devourer. Also not a word, but slightly better sounding than mangiatore.

1. No longer able to greet 2. No longer in a position but to claim goodbye clearly these two sentences are extraordinary, however the first one leaves me some doubts, would you please tell me some thing extra about it? The context can be helpfull to inform you which is the nice, or if there's yet another sentence which is even better.

mangia-cibo is the shorter version of mangiatore di cibo

Source(s): i'm italian