Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTrivia · 7 years ago

What is the best book about US Presidents out there?

I've read 'John Adams' by David McCullough and I'm just starting 'Truman' by the same author. Clearly, I'm very intrigued and interested in the Presidents of the United States. Any book suggestions about the office in particular or the US Presidents in their entirety would be appreciated!

Favorite Answer

I share your interest in Presidents of the United States. Below are a few recommendations of books that I have read and enjoyed. They are not listed in order of preference. Information on each volume is widely available on the Internet.

_____Series: "The American Presidents" (published by Times Books, an imprint of Henry Holt and Company) is an exceptional collection of presidential biographies. Each volume presents a biography compact enough for the busy reader yet fully researched and incisive enough for the scholar. Until his death in 2007, presidential historian Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr., served as general series editor. Sean Wilentz, Princeton University historian, has since assumed the editorship of the series. To date, distinguished historians and writers such as James MacGregor Burns, Jean H. Baker, Joyce Appleby, Alan Brinkley, Garry Willis, Sean Wilentz, John Seigenthaler, Robert V. Remini, John Patrick Diggins, Annette Gordon-Reed, Robert Dallek, and Gary Wills have written volumes for the series.

For complete information, please see:

http://www.americanpresidentsseries.com/booklist.a...

http://www.americanpresidentsseries.com/authors.as...

_____"A Thousand Days: John F. Kennedy in the White House", by Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr. Houghton Mifflin (1965) (1966 Pulitzer Prize for Biography or Autobiography; 1966 National Book Award in History and Biography).

_____"The Years of Lyndon Johnson", by Robert A. Caro (Volumes 1-4)

__"The Path to Power", Alfred A. Knopf Inc., New York. (1982) (1982 National Book Critics Circle Award).

__"Means of Ascent", Alfred A. Knopf Inc., New York. (1990).

__"Master of the Senate", Alfred A. Knopf Inc, New York. (2002) (2003 Pulitzer Prize for Biography or Autobiography; 2002 National Book Award for Nonfiction).

__"The Passage of Power", Alfred A. Knopf Inc, New York. (2012).

_____"American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House", by Jon Meacham. Random House (2008) (2009 Pulitzer Prize for Biography or Autobiography).

_____ "Roosevelt - The Soldier Of Freedom - 1940-1945", by James MacGregor Burns. Harcourt, Brace (1956) (1971 Pulitzer Prize for History).

_____"Washington: An Abridgement in One Volume of Douglas Freeman's Seven Volume 'George Washington'", by Richard Harwell. Charles Scribner's Sons (1968) (Douglas Freeman's Volumes 1-6 won 1958 Pulitzer Prize for Biography or Autobiography).

_____"Grover Cleveland: A Study in Courage" (Volumes 1-2)

__"To the Loss of the Presidency", by Allan Nevins. Dodd, Mead & Co. (1932) (1933 Pulitzer Prize for Biography).

__"To the End of a Career:, by Allan Nevins. Dodd, Mead & Co.

______"Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln", by Doris Kearns Goodwin. Simon & Schuster (2005).

______"In The Days of McKinley", by Margaret Leach. Harper & Bros. (1959) (1960 Pulitzer Prize for History; Bancroft Prize).

I've run out of room :(

Good luck.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I've read 'John Adams' by David McCullough and I'm just starting 'Truman' by the same author. Clearly, I'm very intrigued and interested in the Presidents of the United States. Any book suggestions about the office in particular or the US Presidents in their entirety...

Source(s): book presidents there: https://biturl.im/uJEIG

clear and present danger (didn't say real ones)