Army Reserve pros/cons?

I know it may be a little early for me to think about the Army Reserve, because I'm just a 15yr old girl, but next year I'll be a senior and I'll need to know.

So what I'm asking is what are the pros and cons of the Army Reserve, the benefits, the things you like/hate about it, costs of things.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you won't need to attend college before and you can just start at the college there right?

I mostly want to know about the training, and if it's hard.

I'm not fit and I'm a bit chubby, but I'm working on it!:]

I've done some research, and my school has many pamphlets on the Army.

I PREFER someone who has had experience or someone who's currently in it.

PLEASE no stupid questions!

Thanks!:]

Favorite Answer

Members of the United States Army Reserve are part-time service members who train and work near their homes, dedicating at least one weekend per month to full-time service. However, any soldier in the Army Reserve may be called to active service, as necessary. Army Reserve soldiers receive or are eligible for benefits equivalent or proportional to full-time active soldiers, depending on their active/reserve status, rank and length of service.

-Education

Education benefits depend on the length of service. Reservists may qualify for programs which defer them from deployment during their education, as well as ROTC scholarship programs or the Montgomery GI Bill to help pay college tuition. Soldiers who remain in the Army Reserve for 6 years or more can receive assistance in paying down student loans.

-Employment Assistance

When a soldier enlists in the Army Reserve, he is trained in a variety of jobs, many of which have civilian counterparts. For such jobs, training and certification in the Army is usually recognized in the public and private sectors. There are also career and employment assistance programs available through the Army Reserve, such as the Partnership for Youth Success program (PaYS), through which the Army partners with selected companies across the country and assists soldiers in obtaining employment.

-Insurance

Army Reserve soldiers who are not on active, full-time duty can access low-cost health insurance coverage for themselves and their families, as well as have the option to purchase life insurance for reduced premiums. Reserve soldiers who are deployed receive no-cost health care. Most retired Army Reserve soldiers are eligible to receive health care for themselves and their families through the Veterans Administration (VA) network.

-Retirement

Army Reserve soldiers who serve for 20 years or longer are eligible for retirement pay when they turn 60 years of age. Retired soldiers are usually also eligible to receive medical care, as mentioned, through the VA system.