Why do Latinos call themselves "Hispanic" or "Spanish"?

I thought you can be "hispanic" or "spanish" ONLY if you were from Spain. The majority of Spaniards are just plain WHITE. But the majority of Latinos are beautifully mixed with black,white,and indian and have very light tanned skin and black or brown curly hair with beautiful dark brown eyes... show more I thought you can be "hispanic" or "spanish" ONLY if you were from Spain. The majority of Spaniards are just plain WHITE. But the majority of Latinos are beautifully mixed with black,white,and indian and have very light tanned skin and black or brown curly hair with beautiful dark brown eyes (majority), most importantly anyone from LATIN AMERICA is Latino. Latin American food,culture,and dance is COMPLETELY different from Spain, Latin America is influenced by African culture and rhythm. So why do some Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and etc. address themselves as "Hispanic" or "Spanish" when they aren't?

Also why aren't Haitians and Brazilians considered Latino? I know the majority of Haitians and alot of Brazilians are black but just because your black doesn't mean you can't be a Latino, right?

What do you think?