Difficult to get into PGCE Primary course?

Hi all I am currently going into my final year of a BA honours degree in Early Childhood Care and Education. I hope to get at least a 2:2 which I think I will. As part of my degree I have done work experience for 170 hours in a Montessori school and I have also done work experience in a special needs school for... show more Hi all I am currently going into my final year of a BA honours degree in Early Childhood Care and Education. I hope to get at least a 2:2 which I think I will.

As part of my degree I have done work experience for 170 hours in a Montessori school and I have also done work experience in a special needs school for a month. Also I am carrying out 5 days of experience in a primary school next week.

Most PGCE courses require you to have a C grade in Maths, English and a Science subject. As I am from Ireland I have done the Leaving Certificate and achieved a C1 in Higher level English, a C3 in ordinary level maths and a C1 in ordinary Biology. I think my grades meet the requirements but I have looked up on the internet and it states that GCSE's are the equivalent to the Irish Junior Certificate?? Should that not be the equivalent to the Irish Leaving certificate no?? This baffles me but it is the least of my worries as regards applying for the PGCE course.

Will my experience in early years settings, my Leaving Certificate grades and my degree in Early Childhood Studies help me to get to at least the interview stage??

Also I have always been quite nervous about presentations and interviews. If I did a lot of research and prepared really well for the interview, will it not be as daunting?? Furthermore are the interviews very difficult or manageable??
1 answer