I accidentally ran a school bus stop sign?

I was on my way to work and I was driving down our town's Main Street and this small short school bus was dropping a kid off on the opposite side of the road from me. I saw the bus but I didn't even notice the stop sign. I also completely forgot that you are suppose to stop at school buses. Do these school buses have cameras on the outside of them? Will I get a fine or lose my license? I live in PA so I am unsure. I am truly sorry and I honestly never saw the stop sign.

• Jay
    Favorite Answer

How do you not see a big red STOP sign sticking out of a yellow school bus that has flashing red lights? I hope the bus driver wrote down your license plate and reported it to the police. Your insurance rates would skyrocket since it's a major offence.

It is considered a serious offense to pass a stopped school bus while the stop sign is open. When the stop sign closes, then you can drive again. Now, I know this may sound a little bit random, but I didn't know why school buses had stop signs and those red and yellow lights. I thought they were just there to let kids know when it's time to get on or something. Or to let the parents know when their kids are home before they come in the house.

• leanne5 years agoReport

At least that's the way it is in my state. As soon as the stop sign closes, you can go again. It might be different in your state, though. I didn't know what the stop sign and lights were there for until I took my state's online drivers Ed test.

You need to know that it is a serious offense to run over STOP signs especially school bus signs. Supposing you caused an accident and given that you were in the mains street. Some of these thing happen as a result of ignorance and maligning of other road users. Even if you could have skipped a camera and could be you wont get a fine. The fact remains it was a STOP sign and you decided to voluntarily ignore. You conscious will continue judging you. Learn not to over run STOP signs.Have you ever wondered why they are in red color. It means there is possibility of danger if you ignore the sign. They not just put there for the sake of it. They are planted there for safety. Be careful when you drive follow the rules else you will always be overrunning STOP signs. and not only stop signs. All road signs are essential for smooth running of traffic. While driving, concentrate on driving alone avoid other things that are potentially dangerous.

• I have seriously not seen someone misunderstand the OP so severely. I literally laughed.

As a former school bus driver I can tell you without a doubt that the driver is furious with you. If the driver caught your license plate number, it is legal for the bus driver to make a formal complaint by phone to the local police without a picture. This can take a few minutes or 1 week for you to hear results of this action.

Children have been hit by drivers who failed to stop. These people live and breathe in a world of their own Hell today. An innocent child was lucky this time. Do not let it happen again. "Honestly" not seeing the stop sign is a poor excuse and won't mean a darn thing in court. It won't make you feel better either if you strike a child with your car.

Some newer buses have cameras mounted outside that are motion detected and photograph cars that run the school bus stop sign. You may receive a fine or ticket in the mail.

• Leslie

it depends on the city/state you are in. I have driven school busses in 4 different cities. two of them larger towns (20,000) which it is tough to get all the stopsign runners. Another town (Population 7,000), where we complained to an officer at safety meetings and he explained...

When they get a report, they put it in a file for reference. As they keep getting reports, they will notice repeat offenders, then if they notice that, they will make contact.

The latest driving area was a rural (3 county area) and sherrif department sends them a ticket immediatly, or if bored enough go looking for them.

It all depends on where you live and the relationship between the school bus company and the law enforcement agency.

SHAME ON MYSELF - No sooner than I got my first bus driving job, On the way home, I accidentally ran a stop sign on a bus just as she was opening the door, and the lights went from yellow to red. (from an competiting contract company - so that driver did not know me). I waited and waited months but never got anything.

Source(s): I am a school bus driver

You will not received a traffic citation because bus's cameras are installed inside the bus not outside . The only chance you get a ticket if a school bus driver reports you. Most bus drivers don't do police jobs . I think the chance you get a ticket is 5% .

In Washington new bill (SB 5540) that would give school districts the authorization to place cameras on school buses that would ticket vehicles that do not follow the law regarding school buses.

There are NO proposed law is similar to that in Pennsylvania .

Sometimes the school bus driver takes license numbers and you could very well receive a ticket in the mail.

i just did that today...i had a really bad day lost my passport in america and my tire burst while i was driving on the highway was in a hurry to get the money from home to get a new tire..while i was just making the last turn to my house the was a school bus with its lights on..i feel really bad that i did that i swear but my license is my life cuz im a truck driver..ive always followed the rules never drove fast or anything but today i just ****** up...i really hope i dont get a ticket i swear im never gonna do it again

If you wish to build your confidence.  If you want to experience self. Then this https://tr.im/v4lR4 is the issue you know.

With this particular plan, Patriot Self Defense you'll learn therefore many kinds of actions from numerous self-defense professions since this system gifts you an toolbox of techniques that'll be really acceptable to be used especially when you are involved in a negative and dangerous situation.

To create it simpler the program also is sold with video therefore that when simpler for you really to fallow and learn it stage by step.

Wow, Nazi Germany up in here. yes, she could have caused a serious accident, but she didn't and obviously it was unintentional. I don't think we need to bring out the firing squad.