How did Harry Potter and Twilight become so popular?

More specifically what kind of advertising did these author's do that got their books so popular so fast. There are thousands of books out there, even with similar themes...so what did these author's do? I read that initially the Harry Potter books only had a thousand copies out there, with half of them... show more More specifically what kind of advertising did these author's do that got their books so popular so fast. There are thousands of books out there, even with similar themes...so what did these author's do? I read that initially the Harry Potter books only had a thousand copies out there, with half of them distributed in libraries. Then BAM they sell millions. I have a hard time believing that it's just cause the books are soooo good. Dont get me wrong, Im a fan of Harry Potter (even though Twilight kind of sucked in my opinion) but there are still so many great books out there that werent able to reach the fame that these books did.

What happened? They just became popular so fast that I feel that they did some subtle advertising somehow that got it to sell so much. Like did they get some kid on a famous movie to have the book in a scene and then all of a sudden everyone wanted to read it? Did they somehow advertise it on MTV? U know what I mean? I def think the character development was very nicely done by jk rowling, I just feel like something big happened to kick start the selling of the books. I know it says that after having only 1000 copies out there, it got an award for Children's Book of the Year by the British Book Award. Is that what helped get the name out there?

I just remember being in high school and randomly one day like 10 people had the Twilight book in our class. Like where did that come from?