Honey asked in SportsRunning · 9 years ago

What is the policy on using public high school track for exercise?

I pay taxes, so I should be able to run there, right?

I assume, after or before normal school hours is probably courteous--- and check in with the office to let them know who I am . . .anything else?

What if the school admin says no – am I entitled to be able to use the track if it’s a public school? Does it vary by state? Is there anything I can cite to say I’m allowed to run there?

(Just dying to use a new rubber track nearby!!)

Whoa, obviously I know there are limits, that's why I'm asking -- I just wanted to know if it was written anywhere --

I see old folks walking on the track all the time -- just looking for the rules here, or a good place to look, if there is a place to look -- for example, is it considered park space?

Like, their library is listed as public on the county's public library database -- and the evening english classes for those who speak another language are open to the public if you register on the website.

Way to get worked up on yahoo answers. . . yolo I guess. . .

• Adam D
    Favorite Answer

The policy is typically dictated by the school. Just because you pay taxes does not entitle you to use the facility - you pay taxes for the roads you drive on, but you still must obey traffic laws, correct?

If it is the policy of the school that the track is not open to the public, then you cannot run there, and there isn't anything you can cite to get around it.

EDIT: You still have to talk to the school administrator. I would venture that if there are people using the track now, then it is probably open to the public. There will likely be some restrictions, like what hours it may be used, or you may need to obtain specific permission (some sort of formal visitor's pass or something). The simplest thing to me here seems to be asking the old folks who are walking if they had to get permission.

Schools aren't "public" the way parks or libraries are public - for the obvious safety reasons. Cases like the library at the school also serving as a public library would be more of an exception than a rule.

• I'll take your argument a little further then...

You pay your taxes right, so what is the policy of using other public high school sports facilities, football pitch for example, or go a bit further the changing rooms and lockers....

No you generally can't use the equipment - you pay your txes however you received the benefit of the education prt of your taxes in advance of you paying for it... includes the sports equipment. So you had benefits before fromt he equipment, now its the next generations turn.