Typing Code - Should I learn to type correctly? (Currently three finger type)?

So I am 18 and I have never done the typical “home row” typing they teach in school. I type with my ring, middle, and index sliding up and down the keyboard while my thumbs are responsible for the spacebar and my pinky is responsible for the shift key. I don’t have any rule for which finger is responsible for which... show more So I am 18 and I have never done the typical “home row” typing they teach in school. I type with my ring, middle, and index sliding up and down the keyboard while my thumbs are responsible for the spacebar and my pinky is responsible for the shift key. I don’t have any rule for which finger is responsible for which key, it all depends on what position my hands are in, which depends on what the last character I typed was, which depends on what word I am typing. Therefore, I get better at typing a certain word the more times I have typed it. When typing normal human language, I can type at about 80 wpm.

But here is the problem, when I am typing code which are not common words that I type, I start making more errors. Typing something like scanf(“%i”,&x); takes a long time because the “(“%i”,&x)” part is just some random string of characters and symbols and I have to look at the keyboard to type a lot of those. I have the same problem with typing passwords or words that I am not familiar with. Is it time for me to learn how to type correctly? Anyone ever experience something similar?

Thanks
1 answer 1