If I pour Bleach down the drain is it still safe to drink the water?

Does the water go through the same pipes? I poured a little bleach down the drain to clean it. Then without thinking about an hour later i brushed ,y teeth and put the water from the sink in my mouth to rinse....is this ok?

Update:

Thank you to the polite people! This was a serious question.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • XTX
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

=== waste water -- like the drain pipes and the toilet travels to the sewer pipe === fresh water that is in the faucets is from the city water supply and has nothing to do with the waste water system === therefore you are safe -- it is okay and you are safe but the garden hose water is not recommended for drinking as the the water hose out in the yard is not approved for human consumption .... you're safe ... some cities in the world have water supplied to the homes that is used for bathing only and the system of ""fresh water"" is contaminated by lead pipe, iron ore minerals, other mineral contaminates, and generally old sediment in the pipes --- and those folks have to use and buy filtered water in five gallon jugs or other containers of smaller purified drinking water ... There are many folks in the states that only drink those purified bottled waters and they are wasting their money because -- some states and cities have excellent fresh water that is in the city fresh water system and is actually more pure than those bottled waters ... ask your favorite pharmacist about the water in your city as that is part of the studies that he/she made to earn their license as a registered pharmacist ..... water quality is the biggest concern in the USA ....

• 7 years ago

If anything going down the drain finds its way into your water supply, it isn't safe to use regardless of what you do, or don't, pour down the drain. Waste water must be treated before it can be used for drinking.

Note: Unless you have your own well, your water is already treated with enough chemicals that a little bleach is not an issue.

• 3 years ago

There are rather a few experiment-kits available - I advocate you test for the obvious (Fecal Coliform) as well as heavy metals (arsenic, cadmium, radium) and if there are any industrial uses local, for hydrocarbons. The entire gamut of exams will rate you not up to $200 - and you will be re-guaranteed that the water is excellent - or no longer. Or, send a sample to any of a number of laboratories so they can provide you with a entire evaluation - in the $80 - $one hundred twenty variety. Culligan does it without spending a dime - but they are going to do the whole lot they can to promote you some form of approach or different. And i choose trying out from a utterly unbiased supply and not using a curiosity within the end result.

• 7 years ago

The water going down the drains (this includes your toilet drain) either go into the sewage system or a septic tank. The water coming out of your pipes isn't from there. It is not usually a good idea to pour bleach down the drain if you are connected to a septic tank, though, so be certain which you are connected to. The toilet would be the only thing that would be connected to the septic tank (unless someone messed up).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

It's OK. Water that goes down the drain doesn't come out of the faucet.

• 7 years ago

Holy crap! When you **** in your toilet, does that come out your faucet? If so, then your plumbing is ****** up and you should move. Same goes for anything you pour down the drain.

• 7 years ago

Chlorine-based bleach is safe to drink if it's diluted enough. That's basically what some providers put in tap water to kill bacteria, and what people use to clean out water tanks.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Why the hell would you drink from a drain?

• 7 years ago

The bleach doesn't go through the drain and back through your pipes. Thats gross and your stupid.

• 7 years ago

No connection. You'e fine.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.