Comcast got on to me about a torrent, what do I do?

I've been torrenting things for a few years with ATT isp. we just recently switched to comcast for a faster connection, and now comcast sent me this:

Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Subscriber:

Comcast has received a notification by a copyright owner, or its authorized agent, reporting an alleged infringement of one or more copyrighted works made on or over Comcast's High-Speed Internet service (the 'Service'). The copyright owner has identified the Internet Protocol ('IP') address associated with your Service account at the time as the source of the infringing works. The works identified by the copyright owner in its notification are listed below. Comcast reminds you that use of the Service (or any part of the Service) in any manner that constitutes an infringement of any copyrighted work is a violation of Comcast's Acceptable Use Policy and may result in the suspension or termination of your Service account.

If you have any questions regarding this notice, you may direct them to Comcast in writing by sending a letter or e-mail to:

Comcast Customer Security Assurance

Comcast Cable Communications, LLC

1800 Bishops Gate Blvd., 3rd Floor East Wing

Mount Laurel, NJ 08054 U.S.A.

Phone: (888) 565-4329

Fax: (856) 324-2940

For more information regarding Comcast's copyright infringement policy, procedures, and contact information, please read our Acceptable Use Policy by clicking on the Terms of Service link at http://www.comcast.net.

Sincerely,

Comcast Customer Security Assurance

Copyright work(s) identified in the notification of claimed infringement:

Infringing Work : SID MEIER'S CIVILIZATION 5

Filename : Civilization V=20

Filename : Civilization V=20

First found (UTC): 2012-08-22T11:49:04.33Z

Last found (UTC): 2012-08-22T11:51:46.05Z

Filesize : 3772603826 bytes=20

Network: BitTorrent

Protocol: BitTorrent =20

What should I do? Its a fun game!! Should I un install it? and how can i make sure this doesnt happen again?

Favorite Answer

Sorry to hear that you got hit, Comcast is one of the worse for this stuff. Heres my advice,

If you can't afford to get caught again DON'T DO IT!

However, you can always look in Proxies/VPNS. If you plan to continue this then you really need to look into those things, check out the link in my source.

Comcast And Torrents

What should you do?

Stop illegally torrenting copyrighted content.

Should you uninstall it?

Yes, but note that Comcast or the anti-piracy companies will not know whether you have installed or uninstalled the game - you only get "caught" when you are downloading the copyrighted material (i.e. when you are torrenting it using your torrent client).

How do you make sure that this doesn't happen again?

Don't illegally download any copyrighted material. Purchase the game legally.

Note that there are ways to conceal yourself from people (such as anti-piracy companies) from detecting what you are torrenting. The best protection comes from a BitTorrent VPN which acts like a proxy between the peers and you, so your IP address is hidden. However, I would not advise this as it is still illegal to download copyrighted content via torrents.

RE:

Comcast has received a notification by a copyright owner, or its authorized agent, reporting...

I'd get PeerBlock, TorrentRover, and maybe even a VPN. TorrentRover has an option (Preferences/Other/Anonymouse) to use Anonymouse.org as a proxy server for all searches and downloads. This (and PeerBlock) will help protect your IP address from prying eyes. Your traffic should be your business, not theirs.

Source(s): experienced torrent user

Let's see here, you were warned, now uninstall the torrenting program and pray.