Brugmansia tea (hallucinogen), mescal beans (psychoactive), genus Atropa, etc. all legal?

As a precursor, I will say I do not use marijuana and I have never used a recreational drug. With all of the "medical marijuana" hype, I wanted to see support for both sides of the matter. Why is marijuana illegal, while worse drugs are legal? I was researching a plant, the Mountain Laurel, mostly... show more As a precursor, I will say I do not use marijuana and I have never used a recreational drug. With all of the "medical marijuana" hype, I wanted to see support for both sides of the matter. Why is marijuana illegal, while worse drugs are legal?

I was researching a plant, the Mountain Laurel, mostly because of it's beans. The Mescal beans, or "red beans" from this plant are lethal in large quantities but in small quantities (as in 1/4 of a bean) is used for its hallucinations or to get a trip. However, this shrub is often used in landscaping in public and private properties. I first saw it at a resort.

There are other plants, such as Brugmansia ("Angel's Trumpet") or atropa belladonna ("deadly nightshade"), which are narcotic, hallucinogenic, lethal when overdosed, yet are highly legal.

As you can see, these plants are far more dangerous than marijuana. Especially floweringp lants of the genus "Atropa" or the many of the family Solanaceae. Most of these plants have leaves or flowers that can be used to make teas that are drinked as a recreational drug. If any of these are refined or concentrated, they can be used as lethal poisons.

How come these plants are legal, while marijuana is illegal? It's contradictory. If you outlaw a slightly dangerous plant, why legalize fatal ones? One should either make the less dangerous legal or outlaw all of them.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks