Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 8 years ago

I have a few questions about driving/car accidents?

Okay, so I've been driving for almost a year now, and I have a few questions that I'm still not sure about (mainly about car accidents and such, since I haven't been in an accident yet).

1.) If I am driving or stopped at a stop sign/red light, and a car bumps into the back of my car, should I pull over? If I do, should I as soon as the light turns green and I am past the intersection, or would it be better to pull into a nearby parking lot instead? Or a side-road maybe, if it is a crowded road?

2.) In the same case as above, should the police be notified? I know that you're supposed to call 911 if you are in a car accident, but what if you pull over only to find that there is little to no damage at all? Should you still call the police?

3.) What if you are hit by a car, but they don't stop and instead turn another way or keep going past you? Should you still pull over and call the police, even if the other driver is already gone? And also, should you still pull over on the side of the road, or would it be better to go into a parking lot since the other driver is already gone?

4.) What if you hit someone else, and there is little to no damage, but they don't stop and instead keep driving? Should you follow them and wait to see if they'll stop later on, or should you pull over even if they don't?

5.) If there is a police officer, firetruck, ambulance, or something behind you with their lights on, but you are stuck sitting at a red light, how are you supposed to pull over? Do you wait until the light turns green, pass the intersection, and then pull over? Or are you supposed to stay put, even when the light turns green (all lights turn green for them, right?)? What if you are at a stop sign and about to turn left or right into traffic, and there is an emergency vehicle with their lights on behind you? Should you stay there, or try to turn onto the road and then pull over? Will the cars on that road pull over too, or will they keep going? If this is the case, will I be delaying the emergency vehicle by waiting until it is safe to turn?

6.) What if I am on a road going North and South, and there is an emergency vehicle with lights and sirens on, but they are on the road going East and West? Should I pull over for them, assuming they might be crossing the intersection? What if they are going South, and I am going North? Do I pull over then?

7.) This is kind of different from the other questions, but I'm still wondering about it. If I am on a main road and trying to turn left into a parking lot, while there are cars in the parking lot trying to exit straight out (or left, I guess), do they have the right of way or do I? What if there is a line of cars behind me, or behind the cars waiting to get out of the parking lot? Does this change anything?

Thanks.

• Shay

1. Any time there is an accident, you should not move the vehicles at all. Even if you are in the road and blocking traffic behind you. First, you get out and look at the damage made by the impact. It is a good idea to get a few photos with a cell phone if possible. Photos of your car, the car that hit you and the position on the road may help with insurance claims. If the damage is minor, then exchange insurance information with the other driver. When there is large amounts of damage, or if the other driver is trying to argue with you, call the police and get an accident report filed. It will make insurance easier to deal with if there is an actual accident report. You may want to check with your insurance company to see if they require police reports to file a claim. If they do, then you will need a police report for any accident you have.

2. (already answered as part of 1.)

3. If someone hits you but keeps going, try to get their license plate number, then pull over and call the police. Don't try to follow them even if you didn't get their plate number. Hopefully, someone else will also see that you was hit and will stop to help make your report. If the driver of the hit and run is not found, you can use the police report to file a claim with your insurance company, and you would still be covered by your insurance unless you have a really bad policy.

4. If you hit someone else, and they drive away from you, follow them for a little bit to make sure they are not looking for a good place to pull over, but if they show no signs of pulling into a parking lot or onto a safe shoulder of the road, then they must not care that you bumped into them and you would be safe to go on without worrying about the accident. (this actually happened to me once. I bumped the car in front of me and he looked in his mirror and then just drove on like he didn't care.)

5. This is sometimes hard to predict because it depends on what lane you are in and if there is a shoulder beside you to pull onto or if it is a city street with no where to pull to. If the emergency vehicle is still moving as it comes up behind you, you should stay completely still. Many times, the emergency vehicle will actually drive the wrong way in the lane to go around cars that are stuck at an intersection by the traffic light. As long as no one moves, the emergency vehicle can zigzag it's way through the intersection even if it is using the wrong lanes to do it. If there is a median divider that will not allow the emergency vehicle to use the wrong lanes to move through the intersection, then you may have to move forward and then pull over on the other side to let them get passed the intersection.

6. Any time you see an emergency vehicle, you pull over. It really doesn't matter which direction they are going because they might have to cross your path at the intersection or they might have to move to your lane (head on) to go around someone else who isn't pulling off properly.

7. If you are on the main road, then you have the right of way over the people trying to exit the parking lot. When you are turning left, the main traffic you need to worry about would be the cars driving toward you. They have the right of way.

1. Use some amount of common sense. Do not pull over anywhere that is not safe to pull over. And try to avoid blocking the intersection.

2. The official rule is that the police do not need to be notified if there is no injury or damage. The unofficial rule is that it is a good idea to call the police, because the other person might decide later to lie and pretend to be injured and sue you.

3. Call the police. And pull over wherever it is safest. See first answer.

4. If they are going to wherever it is safe to pull over, follow them there. When you get to the first safe place to pull over, pull over and see what they do. If they keep going, do not follow them. If you see them pull over somewhere else, then pull over there.

5. Watch what they do. Sometimes, they will drive on the wrong side to get around the vehicles waiting for the traffic light. If that happens, do not enter the intersection until they are out of the way. Sometimes, they stop right behind you and blow their horn. If that happens, move whichever way is necessary to get out of their way.

6. If they are on the west-east road, stop before the intersection. You don't have to pull over, just treat it like you had a stop sign or red light, and let them go through the intersection before you. If they are going south and you are going north, pull over in case they need to drive on your side of the road. In either case, do not pull over in the intersection.

7. Technically, you do, because traffic exiting a parking lot is supposed to yield to traffic on a main road. And a line of cars does not change anything.

your obviously in the US as you refer to parking lots,

Here in the UK,

If someone rear ends you, they are already in the wrong,and the best thing is to stay where you are, take photo's on your camera phone of any damage and the position of the cars, get witnesses if possible. If they hit you and carry on, try and take their number, and report to the police right away, they might be uninsured or in a stolen car.If you have any pain ,like a neck injury(whiplash) have an ambulance attend, this strengthens your case,and the police should take a report.

I wouldn't recommend following another car,unless you have someone with you, and only then to see where they go, and call the police at the same time.

As for emergency vehicles, regardless of where you are, just pull to one side and let them through,but at the same time not putting yourself at risk.even at intersections,just slow down and prepare to stop

As for cars coming out of car parks(lots), they would normally wait for you ,but every case is different, sometimes its better to let them out,sometimes common sense prevails

hope this helps

You will must determine along with your coverage, however for those who had been insured with the coverage enterprise I work for...Any individual that you allow to driver you car is blanketed. So if he gets pulled over and you've got insurance its all just right. If he has an accident you insurance policy will cover it. Despite the fact that the accident is his fault it might nonetheless impact your rates.