Is smoking weed as bad for you as smoking cigarettes?

I'm asking this question just to see some answers, consider me at a neutral standpoint just looking for opinions. Anyway, it seems ridiculous to me that there is so much propaganda on the drug truthfully on both sides of the spectrum. There are so many biased opinions either for or against weed that get... show more I'm asking this question just to see some answers, consider me at a neutral standpoint just looking for opinions. Anyway, it seems ridiculous to me that there is so much propaganda on the drug truthfully on both sides of the spectrum. There are so many biased opinions either for or against weed that get misconstrued as facts. For example; many people say "smoking one joint is the equivalent of smoking 20 cigarettes" due to the acclaimed higher concentrations of carcinogens. With a minute of research; I found (supposed) evidence disproving such a claim;

“We know that there are as many or more carcinogens and co-carcinogens in marijuana smoke as in cigarettes,” researcher Donald Tashkin, MD, of UCLA’s David Geffen School of Medicine tells WebMD. “But we did not find any evidence for an increase in cancer risk for even heavy marijuana smoking.”

The ridiculous part here is the SAME news company later puts out a story ADVOCATING and (supposed) proving the claim that smoking one joint is the equivalent of smoking 20 cigarettes it reads;

"Cannabis smokers end up with five times more carbon monoxide in their bloodstream (than tobacco smokers), team leader Richard Beasley, at the Medical Research Institute of New Zealand, said in a news release... There are higher concentrations of carcinogens in cannabis smoke...what is intriguing to us is there is so little work done on cannabis when there is so much done on tobacco,” said Beasley."In the near future we may see an 'epidemic' of lung cancers connected with this new carcinogen. And the future risk probably applies to many other countries, where increasing use of cannabis among young adults and adolescents is becoming a major public health problem,” he added. Study results appear in the in the European Respiratory Journal. In the high-exposure group, lung cancer risk rose by 5.7 times for patients who smoked more than a joint a day for 10 years, or two joints a day for 5 years.

Two seemingly viable sources and completely paradoxical articles. What do you think?
Update: Brian - So you attribute the second article to being more of a trustworthy source?
Update 2: Lex Lodge - Agree
Update 3: E - not sure about the whole bodybuilding thing, and some people use nicotine for relaxation purposes in the same respect as marijuana and other reasons besides bodybuilding, but ok.
Update 4: Justin - "If weed was so bad, they wouldn't be prescribing it to cancer patients and people with pain problems." ...This argument of doctors prescribing it so it's ok doesn't hold any water, because most of the things that doctors prescribe to patients have potential adverse and harmful side... show more Justin - "If weed was so bad, they wouldn't be prescribing it to cancer patients and people with pain problems." ...This argument of doctors prescribing it so it's ok doesn't hold any water, because most of the things that doctors prescribe to patients have potential adverse and harmful side effects, in addition to the beneficial effects.
Update 5: Justin - You have great points though and I see where you're coming from, when smoking weed you don't need much to be set and feeling great. With cigarettes, you smoke much more in quantity as they are extremely addictive.