Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 7 years ago

So why do Women play Softball and not Baseball?

The thought just randomly came into my head.

Why is Women's baseball called Softball?

Why can't they play with a Baseball?

Your thoughts.

Best Answer

The answer to this varies but here are some facts. Pre world war ll few sports of any kind existed for people all over the country to play and local sports were what was popular. Basketball was everywhere but fairly new, skating and other winter sports in the colder regions, field hockey, horseback riding primarily in the south west, pick your favorite local Sport. "Softball" was originally called "Kitten-Ball and could be played indoors in the winter and was played by both male and female players with a "soft" ball, that's where the name started. As time went on the competitive nature of some people grew and they decided they wanted more action so the ball got harder and the game evolved some more." Fast Pitch" softball was played by men before WW ll and during WW ll it took off. Traveling teams like the "King and his court" went around the country playing local all star teams and showcasing softball. Fast pitch softball is a much faster game than baseball and requires a really good athlete to ex-cell at it. Baseball was kind of new still but gaining in popularity. The slow pitch and co-ed versions of softball are a recent development. Girls sports evolved as well and the competitive nature in lots of girls surfaced and softball kind of took it over do to it's popularity. Men still play fast pitch as do girls. Some of the best athletes in the world are softball players. International men's games have gone 30+ innings and the pitchers routinely throw the ball over 100 MPH from 46 feet. That's the equivalent of about 130 + MPH in base ball. Also pitchers can make the ball rise from the knees to the shoulder. Major league pitchers can't do that. The ball is bigger because it started out that way. Now that it's more competitive the larger size allows the pitcher to create much more movement than can be generated with a base ball.

Source(s): ASA men's 5 time state champion, National Champion and all American selection pitcher.

Women, in general, are smaller than men, and most do not have the capability to hit the ball as far. Thus, a smaller field makes more sense for women. But a softball doesn't travel as far as a baseball, which works better for the smaller field.

They could play with a baseball, but honestly, I think it should have to be an all women's team or MOST girls would get crushed. I'm not trying to be sexist, I'm a girl and have played fastpitch softball for about 10 years now. It's just the truth.

Let me preface this by saying that I coach my daughters softball team. They transitioned extremely well from softies to a regulation collegiate softball at age 8! They owned that pitching machine!

Unfortunately girls can't hit as far or throw as hard or fast as boys so softball is better suited for a smaller field. Could they play with a baseball? Probably. However I think it would be tougher for the pitchers. Obviously it is easier to hit the larger softball so that is an added bonus for the hitters.

Just my opinion.

Not sure, I like to play baseball way better than softball

• Matt

They do play baseball the Womens baseball WC is played Bi-annually.

Distraction. A hot guy and girl competing? More like making out in front of 40,000 fans. Or however many people want to see people kiss in nosebleed seats 400 ft away +.

• ?

Boobs get in the way of throwing a good fast pitch.

because they cant play in mlb.