Macy's interview tips?

I have an interview at Macy's next week.. I was wondering if anyone had tips? Like what kind of questions they'll ask, what they're specifically looking for in a candidate for the position. etc..

I've had interviews before, but I was hoping for what this company specifically looks for/asks.

Favorite Answer

Below are interview experiences, tips and questions shared by applicants at Macy's . Good Luck!!

Sales Associate at Macy's - Accepted Offer – Interviewed in Columbus, OH – Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Interview Details –I went to Macy's for an interview yesterday and got hired right on the spot. ALWAYS be at least 10-15 mins early to any interview). The lady who interviewed me was very friendly. Always greet the interviewer and shake their hand before the interview and after. She sat me down and begin to explain that she was going to ask me a series of questions. I have never been in retail before but I came well-prepared for the questions. She asked me around 9 questions. The questions and my answers are as follows:

1. Q: Why Macy's?

A: It's a long-standing company with a good reputation. There's a lot of opportunities for upward mobility.

Notes: That's all you need. She said that answer was great.

2. Q: Explain to me how you would go about selling a Macy's Credit Card.

A: Well, sometimes people are in a hurry when they are shopping, so I would be sure to tell them that it's a very quick process. They would get all of the discounts without having to present a coupon. It's very convenient to check the balance online whenever internet is available. Also, there is no need for a receipt when you return an item, no matter how long ago it was to purchase the item.

Notes: She said this answer was fabulous and explained a little more about the credit card.

3. Q: Tell me about a time when someone you worked with did something you knew was wrong, how you handled it, and what was the outcome?

Notes: I explained to her a story about my previous job as a hostess at Texas Roadhouse. I told her that after we were finished with our shift we had to sweep the corral before we left to go home. One girl didn't sweep and I notified the manager so she wouldn't do that again. He told her that it wasn't right, and she's swept ever since. (The example doesn't have to be a great important story)

4. Q: Explain to me an example of when you were on a team, what was your role, and what was the outcome?

Notes: I explained about my team I was a part of in BPA(Business Professionals of America). There were 4 of us and we had to present a Powerpoint Slideshow to 3 judges. If I didn't complete my part of the powerpoint then that would affect all of us. We ended up not passing State and going on to the next step, because our powerpoint speech didn't reach 15 minutes.

5. Q: Were you ever working in an area that was always constantly changing?

Notes: I said yes. Then proceeded to tell her about my previous job at Quiznos in a University. We were always getting new subs for the menu. We had to learn how to make every new sub. Also, I was the cashier there too. The student cards would change, and so would the sandwich prices.

6. Q: Tell me how you would greet a customer and assist them.

A: I would smile and be polite and ask them how they were doing. I would ask them what they were looking for and how I could be a help.

7. Q: If someone came in needing a pair of jeans, what kind of questions would you ask them?

A: I would ask them what kind of brand they were looking for, what style, what length (pants, capris, shorts).

8. Q: How would you upscale the jeans into a bigger purchase?

A: I would say, Oh you know you need a shirt for those jeans to tie it all-together (interviewer loved that answer). I would then proceed to show them some accessories and shoes to go along with it.

9. Q: How would you celebrate a purchase?

A: I would tell them to "have a nice day" or "see you tomorrow!". Also, comment on how great that outfit will look on them.

Notes: Something to flatter them.

After the questions were over, she asked me my availability and what department I was looking to work for. She found a spot in her own department and hired me right on the spot. She kept commented throughout the interview about how great my answers were.

So, study these and you'll do just fine! Always have a smile on your face, DON'T be late, be as friendly as possible, and don't forget the handshake. And if they say you'll have a second interview, you could maybe send them a Thank You card for their time.

On-Call Sales Associate at Macy's Declined Offer – Interviewed in Franklin, TN Aug 2012–

Interview Details –Submitted an online application, called to schedule an interview. Went in for an interview with one of the general managers. Spoke for 15-20 minutes, called in the manager for the department I was applying for.

Interview Questions

• What would you say to women coming in to buy a pair of slacks? And how would you get her to purchase another piece as well as sign up for a credit card? • Would you be comfortable pushing credit cards on customers? • How would you celebrate the purchase?

Reason for Declining –The base pay was significantly less than equivalent to the gas money I'd be spending to drive to work.

Source(s): College Career Instructor glassdoor.com

Macys Interview Questions

• ?

Sales Associate Interview Questions

They ask you many of those questions, but moreso they asked me to pitch sales, like persuade someome to buy something. I was well prepared for this interview and still she did not like my answers. She then told me there are no positions available. What?? why am I here. I read this comment over and over on glassdoor. com, and sure enough it was true. Dont waste your time people, your not goma get the job. My apologies

Freefromdrama answer was great. Thank you! That was the exact interview that the manager did to me. I was hired and the manager loved the answers. Thank you so much!

This is a captain obvious thing but don't like smell bad make sure you smell nice and agree with everythign they say

Omg !! Thank you so much they ask the same question

Thanks