Is legal for hispanics to send kids to school with no shoes, no parents, no food?

Certain characteristics set the Laredo Independent School District apart from most districts in the state.

Its western boundary aligns directly with the Mexican border. Nearly all its students are poor, and nearly all are Hispanic. Most rely on the school to provi

de two meals a day. On the first day of school this week, some showed up without shoes or without parents accompanying them.

“It’s hard to work on teaching them about reading and writing and math when they haven’t eaten. It’s hard to really welcome them into their class with their textbooks and their lockers when they don’t have on shoes,” said Marcus Nelson, the Laredo superintendent, who said the district solicited donations of shoes and dress-code appropriate clothes all summer to prepare for the new school year

http://www.kens5.com/news/texas-news/For-Some-Texa...

Favorite Answer

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity for you to do some good in the world.

Think I notice you did not include your self to a wonderful opportunity for you to do some good in the world.

Sending kids to school with no shoes, no parents, they have no food at home and depend on the school sytem to provide at least 2 meals a day.This is out and out child abuse, child endangerment,child neglect .Child protection services should be called in to put these kids in foster care

Your kids are so poor that they go to school without shoes? When I taught in Laredo I had students that were so poor they couldn't afford feet!

Yes, it is not easy to teach here, but when you come right down to it all you need to teach is a teacher and a student.

They will always have a tough time in school, but you need to work with the hand that was delt you. Have a good year.

Source(s): Laredo teacher 30+ years

EDIT, as below. I work with an anti-poverty organisation in Canada. The Mexican border is a little far for me, let alone the visa. I assumed that the writer was taking an interest in a local affair.