Connect computers in the network with one connected to modem, the other to the router?

My modem has 4 ethernet ports. I'm using one of the modem port to connect to my laptop. The other port connected to a Medialink router. The home computer is using the medialink router. BEFORE i can established a network between computers before when the both computers are using the modem ports, but ever since... show more My modem has 4 ethernet ports. I'm using one of the modem port to connect to my laptop. The other port connected to a Medialink router. The home computer is using the medialink router.
BEFORE i can established a network between computers before when the both computers are using the modem ports, but ever since i connected the home computer to the medialink router(which is connect to the modem) and my laptop using the modem port. I could NOT extablished networks anymore. Why is that?
I extensively uses network to share large files between computers