Is there a limit on the number of times or length of time that you can format your hard drive?

Just over six years ago I bought a desk top computer that came with XP. I made a back up disc then over the years every few months when my pc seemed to slow down and get a little clogged up I would reformat the hard drive and start it over again as clean as possible. Recently I did a format however once completed... show more Just over six years ago I bought a desk top computer that came with XP. I made a back up disc then over the years every few months when my pc seemed to slow down and get a little clogged up I would reformat the hard drive and start it over again as clean as possible. Recently I did a format however once completed I have been unable to obtain Microsoft updates, I keep getting the message. The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. There were a bunch of solutions but none seemed to help. A salesman at my local computer store advised me that Microsoft limited the number of formats or had a time limit on reformatting. Does anyone know if this is correct and/or can help me obtain the updates. Any help would be much appreciated.