Why do some people eat gluten free food?

If they are not allergic to wheat? What are the health benefits?

IF THEY ARE NOT ALLERGIC TO IT.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

If you are NOT allergic to it, intolerant to it, don't have Celiac Disease, and don't have an auto-immune disorder or other disease that may be helped by this diet, then there's no health benefits that have been proven to exist. Absolutely none.

Grain is not harder to digest than veggies, last time I looked.

HOWEVER...if you are intolerant, mildly allergic, a sero-negative Celiac, or have an auto-immune disorder or other disease that may be helped by this, the ONLY way to tell is to try the diet. Mild allergies frequently don't test positive on skin tests, intolerances HAVE no test, sero-negative Celiacs don't show up on tests, and as we don't know why this diet sometimes helps people with certain conditions; there's no test for that either.

The number of people who would feel better on this diet due to certain conditions that are often missed by doctors is huge - in the millions. My own personal opinion is that these folks are likely the ones who believe that the gluten free diet is good for everyone, because they tried it, they felt better, and they didn't know of anything they had which would make gluten free better for them specifically.

But I know a number of folks who are gluten free for, say, solidarity because a spouse has to gluten free for medical reasons. No change at all with them, no health benefits, nada.

• Nancy

Ok you might not believe me but I'll give you a little bit of information I know from personal experience and years of studying it. I decided to go gluten free about 3 years ago because I was dealing with a whole host of issues from anxiety, to OCD and depression.. it was torture and was keeping me homebound basically. I went to a natropath and he told me that most people he has go gluten free come back in 3 weeks later telling him how much better they feel in general. I am NOT celiac.. about 3-4 weeks after i went gluten free, it was like a night and day difference in how I felt.. Anxiety was almost gone, depression was almost gone and it was just awesome.. kinda hard to explain.. I even tested it and ate a piece of pizza and all the anxiety and issues came right back for a day. I am still gluten free to this day because I feel better physically and mentally. While one may not have celiac, one may feel a LOT better than they currently do when going off gluten. Gluten is a protein found in wheat and it is really tough to break down by the human body so it doesn't matter if yer healthy or not, the less stress you put on the liver, the better you will feel. People don't know they are a 5 out of 10 until all the sudden they're a 9 out of 10.. You get what i'm saying hopefully. Going gluten free pretty much took care of my OCD and anxiety issues..This is a HUGE thing to me.. and is very worth going gluten free as i've found a ton of gluten free things that taste really good. I also got off dairy later and felt even better.. dairy is a whole nother subject i won't even get into

1

Source(s): Delicious Paleo Recipe Cookbook - http://PaleoCookbook.raiwi.com/?ArGK

Well, about 1% of the poppulation is actually allergic to it. About 5% of the population is sensitive to it. Those parts of society do not eat it because it causes lots of issues when they do eat it (or larger quantities of it).

Other people stop eating gluten because they believe it will help them lose weight, or they feel like they are less droggy and held down when they change to being gluten free. But for most people it won't really make much of a difference. Eating too many processed breads, white breads, without any nutrients that are highly processed is much more of an issue.

Eat whole grain, less processed grains if you do eat them, but don't make them a central part of your diet and you should be fine.

Hi

Some people don't eat gluten as it bloats you and it is harder to digest.

wheat and gluten are very hard to digest as it swells your stomach and makes you bloat.

some people can also contract skin problems from eating gluten and wheat also gluten can weaken the gut and lining of the intestines.

also gluten can be found in oats,spelt,batters,rye,barley,vinegar and many other foods.

I can't eat gluten because I am a coeliac :-)

I hope this was helpful :-)

Have a nice day :-)

Source(s): Me :-) - I am a coeliac I can't eat gluten :-)

People over react and misinterpret stuff. I am trying to teach a friend how to cook gluten free, but her test did show she might be allergic to wheat, but the Doctor who tested her was a complete idiot. I told her that, and Her Thyroid doctor said the same thing. Made some buckwheat noodles for her to try.

gluten is in a lot of bready, floury, carbohydrate filled foods and some people like to stay away from carbohydrates and stick to protein diets because it keeps you leaner and allows you to build muscle without gaining much fat.

some people just over react about this.

gluten intolerance!

Source(s): Med Pro

Some can die from.gluten