Have you noticed how much the Republicans have been talking about the national debt all of a sudden?

You know, the same national debt which they ignored for eight years during the Bush years.

The same debt whose ceiling they voted to raise 19 times during the Bush administration.

The same debt they increased by passing the Bush tax cuts and by authorizing

Update:

@Arthur: well by "all of a sudden", I mean in an election year. I mean "all of a sudden" as in...as soon as they no longer control the White House.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Sarah
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

"Deficits don't matter" under republican presidents, according to republicans.

What's odd is that, if they care so much about our debt, why are they voting for Romney, when he admits that he adds MUCH more to our debt and can't even provide a timeline for when he would begin to pay down the debt. Every time he is asked, he says he can't give that information right now.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

Do you notice that when Obama was a senator he called raising the debt ceiling a "failure of leadership" then when he became president he was all for it.

The government takes in about 30 trillion dollars in revenue in a decade, the Bush cuts were 2.5% of that sum spread out over the decade. So tell me how giving the money back to the people that earned it increased the debt?

You libs could steal every dollar from every rich and middle class worker and still not touch the interest on the debt we have taken on under Obama.

• 8 years ago

The present $16 Trillion Debt Bill now - makes the Bush debt look like candy.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Have you notice the national debt since the founding of the country recently increased by 50% in the last 3.5 years?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

In 2000 the debt was under 6 trillion . Let's cut some taxes and all will be well .

• 8 years ago

You must be kidding me. Have you noticed how the democrats claim they are cutting spending and pass a 1+ trillion healthcare overhaul. 800 billion stimulus and a 700 billion bailout.

Source(s): Common sense
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Your point?

The national debt was never 100% of GDP, or anything close for that matter.

Source(s): This is called context.
  • 8 years ago

I have noticed that Democrats have ignored the National debt. LOL!

• 8 years ago

They're bragging about how high they've raised the debt and they're saying "if you think this is high, elect us again and we'll set a new record!!"

• 8 years ago

They created it because of the wars and tax cuts for the rich.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.