Jehovah's Witnesses, what does it mean to be a "born again Christian" in light of John 3:3?

What does it mean to be a born again Christian? The classic passage from the Bible that this question comes from is John 3:1-21. The Lord Jesus Christ is talking to Nicodemus, a prominent Pharisee and member of the Sanhedrin (a ruler of the Jews). Nicodemus had come to Jesus at night. Nicodemus had questions to ask Jesus.

As Jesus talked with Nicodemus, He said, “’I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.’

What is meant by that?

Please show scriptures that back up your answers.

Update:

conundrum - I gave you a thumbs down for a non-answer. If you can't answer, then don't waste our time with your childish rants.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Best Answer

According to Jehovah's Witnesses, to be born again means you have a heavenly hope, that you consider yourself to be one of "the anointed" or the "remnant" of the 144,000 who will be co-rulers with Christ Jesus in heaven over the inhabitants of a paradise earth.

According to the Bible, to be born again means you are a Christian. You have entered into the new covenant that Jesus instituted on the night before he was crucified, your sins have been forgiven and Christ Jesus is your mediator. You have been adopted into God's family. You are SAVED!

After all, Jesus himself said to Nicodemus that if a person is not born again (or born from above by the Holy Spirit) they will not even SEE the kingdom of God. Yet Jehovah's Witnesses have been told they do not need to be born again in order to enter into this earthly kingdom of God as the subjects of Christ Jesus. Yes, the King has a Kingdom, but its subjects are not part of the kingdom of God? How does that work?

How can any person claim to be a Christian if they have not been born again? If you are not born again by the Holy Spirit, you are not a Christian and you are NOT SAVED.

There are only two groups of people, according to the Bible. Those who are saved and those who are not. What a shame that 7 million Jehovah's Witnesses believe the lie that they do not need to be born again in order to see the kingdom of God. How can they even SEE the kingdom of God, on earth, let alone be subjects of it, if they have not been born again by the Holy Spirit?

Perhaps they think the 144,000 will put in a good word for them and mediate for them on their behalf?

P.S. I'm a Christian, not a Jehovah's Witness, and I long to be with the Lord - unlike those Witnesses who have their sights firmly fixed on earthly rewards.

• danman
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

When the Greek scriptures or New Testament words are not written for or about you, why would any jw except the remaining 'anointed 144,000' even set about reading it? It is the reason why even the most fervent jw defenders on Ya albeit appointed elders, are seriously lacking in bible understanding. They rely totally on the fact that someone else at headquarters have done the homework, so reading the bible in context is to them, a wasted effort.

Recently a rather notorious YA elder asserted that Jesus never fed or arranged money for the poor. That he only took care of his own disciples. I proved from the bible that his claim held no merit. His response was simply to put me personally down, never once mentioning the scriptural proof I offered.

The average jw feels that they have no need to read and meditate on the meaning of the bible in context. If they do read it, it is to look for the programmed answers taught in the pages of the Watchtower publications. So they know verses or snippets but have very little understanding of the entire context of bible stories.

Even the leadership who claim to be of the very elite select class of 'anointed' or born again christians, subjugate and hold down their fellow anointed, from having any real say in the "visible" part of God's organization on earth. Those who do not live and work at the headquarters must follow as sheep without offering up even a word. How does this reality show any respect for those so favored as to have God's own spirit poured out in anointing as rulers of God's kingdom.

• gmoney5 years agoReport

that's not what Jehovah's Witnesses say or believe

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Their conversion is more of a cognitive agreement than a “born again” (John 3: 3) transformation.

You summed it up quite well, see link below : )

A person becomes a born-again believer by trusting solely upon Jesus Christ as personal Savior, for the forgiveness of sin (Romans 4:5; 10:13).

• 7 years ago

As you have said: "Jesus talked with Nicodemus, He said, “’I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.’

What is meant by that?

It means what is says, and says what it means. Unless a person is "born again" they cannot see the Kingdom (whether it's in heaven or on earth), they are not saved, have no future, inheritance, citizenship, nor are their names written in the book of life. They are without Christ, which is to be, without God, without hope in the world...for they are outside of the new covenant.(Eph. 2:12)

As those outside of the new covenant, in vain do you worship God. Call him Jehovah. Call him Allah. Call him whatever combination of letters, vowels, consonants: mixing Greek with Hebrew and Hebrew with Greek...Wait for 'new light' if you're still confused. Wait till the cows come home. Your movement has been doing this for over a hundred years. As outside of the new covenant, you are climbing in over the walls, it is an error, a mistake. Do you need another 1975 for God is give you discernment as to who, and what is the source of this false teaching?

If the WTBTS is a false prophet & teacher ~ I make the following prediction:

Should there be a gross genocide by the kingdom of the beast in the coming days in what is known as the "great tribulation:" the Jehovah Witness will have no protection from their enemies, no matter what they were taught, believed, placed their hope in, ~ faithfulness to Jehovah's Org., hours of field service, study, time in attending meeting...will count for NOTHING as they have no right to survive Armageddon (the great tribulation as the Bible calls it) then anyone else on this planet.

People ~ REMEMBER~ what I'm telling you.

God bless.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

One is born again by Baptism. Baptism is all through out the Bible. Since it seems you are familiar with the Bible, I am sure you can find some scriptures.

I am not a JW. I know that when I have heard the term born again it meant baptism. Yes, they JW do say that there are only 144,000 annointed. The Bible says that too. It says the number 144,000, but people seem to say or believe that it is going to be much more than that annointed. The bible also talkes about the "flock", that is those that have been baptized with water. They are born into a new way of life and become a servant of God.

Only the annointed, the 144,000 will go to Heaven.

• 7 years ago

Those with the Heavenly Hope must be Born Again:

>>>

The New Birth—A Personal Decision?

WHO causes the new birth? When exhorting their listeners to become born-again Christians, some preachers quote Jesus’ words: “You people must be born again.” (John 3:7) Such ministers use these words as a command, in effect saying, “Be born again!” They thus preach that it is up to each believer to obey Jesus and take the necessary steps to undergo the new birth. According to such reasoning, the new birth is a matter of personal choice. But is that view in harmony with what Jesus told Nicodemus?

A careful reading of Jesus’ words shows that Jesus did not teach that it is up to man to choose whether to experience the new birth or not. Why do we say this? The Greek expression translated “is born again” can also be rendered “should be born from above.”* Thus, according to that alternate rendering, the new birth originates “from above”—that is, “from heaven,” or “from the Father.” (John 19:11; footnote; James 1:17) Yes, it is caused by God.—1 John 3:9.

If we keep the expression “from above” in mind, it is not hard to understand why an individual cannot cause his own new birth. Just think of your physical birth. Was it up to you to make the choice that led to your birth? Of course not! You were born because you were begotten by your father. Similarly, we can experience the new birth only if God, our heavenly Father, causes our new birth. (John 1:13) Thus, the apostle Peter rightly states: “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, for according to his great mercy he gave us a new birth.”—1 Peter 1:3.

Source(s): http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2009242?q=born+... THOSE WHO ARE BORN AGAIN
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

Greetings,

Most people have been taught that being "born again" simply means taking on a new (Christian) life or accepting Jesus as our savior. This is something every Witness must do. However, Witnesses are very careful to use Scriptural terms in their proper sense, so we recognize that the Scriptural meaning was different than most religions' definition.

In the Bible the term "born again" is *only* applied to those who have been "adopted" as sons of God and heirs with Christ for a resurrection to the heavens. They are said to be "God's children" in a *special* sense because of this new and special "adoption" to a heavenly life (1Pt.1:3-4,18-19,23; Rm.8:13-17; Heb.12:23). These are "born again" because their future hope is life in the heavenly realm rather than in God's original earthly purpose for humankind. This was a new arrangement for humans put in effect only after Christ came to earth. (Jn.1:9-13; Jas.1:17-18; 2Cor.5:17).

Those who have an earthly hope have no need for a "rebirth" to heavenly life. They are simply God's children in the same way Adam, Abraham and other pre-Christian humans were (Rm.8:19-22). They are dedicated to doing God's will *for them*-- which is to be faithful and fulfill God's original purpose for the earth (Gen.1:28; 2:15; Ps.37:29; Rev.21:3,4).

This is confirmed throughout the Bible. At Mt. 5:5 Christ adopted the words of Ps.37:10,11,29 to show that the future would be a peaceful earth as God originally decreed. At Mt 19:28 Jesus spoke of a "regeneration" (PALINGENESIA). It is God's stated purpose "to gather all things together again in the Christ, the things in the heavens and the things on the earth" (Eph.1:10). God's word states that "all creation would be set free" from condemnation.

Similarly we have the contrast in Rom. 8:19-22 between the"son's of God" who are revealed and the "creation" who also are "children of God." Both groups will gain freedom from sin. (1Jn.3:2; 1Cor.15:48-49; Phil.3:20-21).

Rev.21:3,4 shows that the final outcome would be that "humankind" would have no more troubles. The Greek word for "new" in 2Pt.3:13 and Rev.21:1 denotes a *renovated* earth where only "righteous" ones will live.

All the restoration prophecies find a physical fulfillment in what can only be described as a paradise earth (eg. Isa.11:6- 9; 25:6-8; 35:1-7; 51:3; 65:17-25; Eze.34:25; Hos.2:18).

So the belief in two groups, one with a heavenly future and one with a future on paradise earth is clearly taught in many scriptures.

Yours,

BAR-ANERGES

• Adam6 years agoReport

So what you are saying is this there are 2 classes of followers the Heavenly class and the earthly class. Did I get that right? If I did than what you are saying also is that Jehovah is a respecter of persons or He shows favoritism by haveing two groups of people.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

@They Don't Like me,

Uh, that's not what Jehovah's Witnesses teach. JWs teach that only the 144,000 are born again. Born again doesn't apply to the rank and file JW. Only the annointed.

Source(s): Atheist
  • CF
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

The holy spirit bears witness with their spirit that they are God’s children. They are also certain that they have been taken into the new covenant. The parties to this covenant are Jehovah God and spiritual Israel. (Jeremiah 31:31-34; Galatians 6:15, 16; Hebrews 12:22-24) This covenant, made operative by Jesus’ shed blood, takes out a people for Jehovah’s name and makes these anointed Christians part of Abraham’s “seed.” (Galatians 3:26-29; Acts 15:14) The new covenant remains in operation until all spiritual Israelites are resurrected to immortal life in heaven.

Furthermore, those who truly have the heavenly calling have no doubt that they are also in the covenant for the heavenly Kingdom. Jesus referred to this covenant between himself and his followers when he said: “You are the ones that have stuck with me in my trials; and I make a covenant with you, just as my Father has made a covenant with me, for a kingdom, that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones to judge the twelve tribes of Israel.” (Luke 22:28-30) This covenant was inaugurated toward Jesus’ disciples by their being anointed with holy spirit on the day of Pentecost 33 C.E. It remains operative between Christ and his associate kings forever.—Revelation 22:5.

Those having the heavenly calling are positive that they are in the new covenant and the covenant for a Kingdom. Therefore, they properly partake of the emblematic bread and wine at annual commemorations of the Lord’s Evening Meal, or Memorial of Jesus Christ’s death. The unleavened bread symbolizes Jesus’ sinless human body, and the wine his perfect blood poured out in death and validating the new covenant.—1 Corinthians 11:23-26.

Anointed ones “have been given a new birth, not by corruptible, but by incorruptible reproductive seed, through the word of the living and enduring God.” (1 Peter 1:23) By his spirit and Word, God implants the “seed” that makes the individual “a new creation,” with a heavenly hope. (2 Corinthians 5:17) Yes, Jehovah makes the choice.

Under the influence of God’s holy spirit, the spirit, or dominant attitude, of anointed ones acts as an impelling force. It moves them to respond positively to what God’s Word says about the heavenly hope. They also respond in a positive way to Jehovah’s dealings with them by means of the holy spirit. Thus, they are sure that they are God’s spiritual children and heirs.

Source(s): w91 3/15
  • 7 years ago

Did you not say at one time that you were associated with the Witnesses or was one?... how is it that you asking them a question that you already know?

Trickery huh fella?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.