How to avoid laughing in Biology Class? Any tips or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.?

Hello Yahoo! Answers.

I am a high school student. Now I know this may come off as immature, but I really can't help it when I'm in a group. Recently, we have been introduced to the topic 'human reproductive system' and at times I almost laugh out loud when the teachers explains the male or female reproductive system. I would love it if someone could give me some tips on how to avoid this childish and immature behavior.

Thanks in advance!

Favorite Answer

Laughter is a subconscious mechanism used to cover your own embarrassment or unease.

So what you're saying to the group by laughing is that you're embarrassed and uneasy about sex and reproduction. Perhaps if you thought a little more about the messages you're sending out you might find a way of controlling yourself.

• Caitie

Honey, I taught this material for 22 years and your teacher has a lot to do with it. I would start by telling my students that nothing embarrasses me about the human body, and we were going to treat the reproductive system the same way we'd treat any other system..by calling body parts by their true names without hesitation. I also told them that no question was too crazy or too embarrassing for them to ask me. I was there to educate them, and trust me..I got some doozies of questions. Your attitude is because Americans place too much shame on the reproductive system, in my opinion, so every mention of a penis or a vagina leaves you not knowing how to react to hearing these words used in open class, so you laugh as a nervous response. You're not being immature; this is a natural instinct. If your teacher has a sense of humor, which I did, he or she will acknowledge that the material is sensitive to some but this is biology class and the body is the body and there is nothing to be ashamed of. If your teacher won't do that for you, think it to yourself. You don't laugh when someone says "stomach" or "heart" or "brain", right? That's because there is no stigma attached there. There is really no difference when saying "penis" or "testes" or "vagina" or "uterus"; it is just because our society still has a prudish streak that these terms seem embarrasing (and as a result, funny) to us when talked about in a mixed group. Don't worry..you're fine, and remember..the body is beautiful and there is nothing to be ashamed of. Perhaps thinking that to yourself will help you to stop the nervous laughter.

Good luck, and hang in there..you're quite normal and not at all immature.

Source(s): masters degree, human physiology; retired AP bio, physiology teacher
  • John R

Yeah, GLH is right. That's very likely what's going on here, and it's not really 'childish and immature' so much as 'normal'. Embarrassment is tough to handle, especially when you're in high school (and for many of us, well beyond). It will get easier with practice, but for now, try to find some way to think about it in less stimulating ways. Try considering it as if it were a diagram of a robot or the parts of a car or something like that. Think about the function rather than [*S-E-X* (aieee!)]. If necessary, work very hard on not looking at any of your friends while this is going on. Think distracting thoughts about stuff that doesn't make you giggle, like getting stung by wasps or getting water up your nose in the pool. You'll find your own way to deal with this - we all do. In a few years, you may even realize that the opinions of most people aren't worth anything, and you'll be harder to embarrass. Good luck!

• Rose

I'm alos on a budget. Here's what I'm doing although I'll probaly get thumbs down on a lot of these. 1. Myt mom and her friends are doing the catering (there awesome cooks and almost opened a company) 2. My mom's friend is making my dress ans my bridesmaids dresses (I'm getting an $850 wedding dress for $85) 3. My inlaws know a DJ so were saving $700 there. 4. A friend is doing my pictures (She is great with a camera) 5. My finacee friend is doing videography (he does it for a living) I hope this helps!

• OBXMAR

Maybe if you realize that you are actually being taught something in school that you will use in real life. We had the Sex Ed stuff in 7th grade. The teacher showed the whole class both movies; she said we need to know what is going on with the opposite sex, too. She treated us like adults and we acted like it.