Should a retainer hurt , hurt ALOT that is.?

I got a retainer just the other day , and when the orthodontist first put it on he said it wasn't tight enough so he screwed up the metal wire and put it back in . he put it in my mouth and it felt a bit tight but , having heard other people with a retainer saying discomfort is normal , i said it was OK. anyway... show more I got a retainer just the other day , and when the orthodontist first put it on he said it wasn't tight enough so he screwed up the metal wire and put it back in . he put it in my mouth and it felt a bit tight but , having heard other people with a retainer saying discomfort is normal , i said it was OK. anyway i slept in it and it was so painful i barely got any sleep. then in the morning i took a dose of painkillers and that numbed the pain but i can still always feel it and it is the sort of pain that makes you feel sick . Also when i put it in or out i get a very sharp pain for about half an hour and when i try and eat , even a couple of hours after removing it my teeth hurt too much. By the way the retainer is supposed to be pushing out my front teeth and a can feel that but the pain that really hurts is at my back teeth which it shouldn't be affecting , almost like it is pushing up inside them from the bottom.

Oh well i have taken it out for now while i try and eat some soft food , but i wanted to know if this was normal so i can put it back in and take more painkillers if it is.

thanks for any helpful answers in advance -
josh