Has anyone read Anne McCaffrey's first novel RESTOREE?

I read somewhere a long time ago that she wrote RESTOREE in protest of the way women were portrayed in Sci Fi. I am having a lot of trouble finding the book. Is it worth the effort?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, I've read it.

To be honest, it's not even close to my favourite of her novels. If you're interested in her reasons for writing it, then reading it's probably going to be interesting for you. If you just want a fun read and you're interested in Anne McCaffrey, I'd recommend Dragonflight.

• 7 years ago

I rather enjoyed it, although it isn't my favorite of her books. Trifle dated for sci-fi, of course.

rough synopsis:

Young woman wakes up in what appears to be an insane asylum, caring for a strange man. She slowly regains her sense of self and realizes that not only is she not home, she seems to have a new body (old scars and marks are gone, different skin tone (more olive or tan, I think), and so on) Has to learn the language and at some point realizes she's not on Earth anymore. And then her charge gets a visit that implies he's a very important man and perhaps shouldn't be there. So she decides to try and free him and hopefully herself as well.

See if you can get it from a library. Interlibrary loan is your friend in these cases.

• 7 years ago

nope, look forward to reading it though :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.