Do all USA road maps show all streets or only main roads?

I just moved to new town so I want a more detailed map, but I figured i should go ahead and get a detailed map in case I want to take a cross country trip randomly. So will it show detailed roads like in residential areas so I can use it now? Would one like this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Large-Scale-Road-Atlas-McNal...

Would it have this much detail?

http://www.mapquest.com/#fa096b1683b2773e5d3d5c11

Favorite Answer

The Mapquest map is showing only major roads at that zoom level. Zoom one more step to add every street as a faint gray line.

Most state and national street atlases show that level of detail at the zoom level of your link: interstate highways, state and major county roads, and main arterials in larger cities. For most driving purposes, that is plenty of detail. If one were driving from coast to coast, the extra detail of every street would not be needed or wanted, for example, in Des Moines (unless needed to look for a particular house there).

The usual approach when doing extended traveling is to use a US or North America atlas (like your first link) for long and intermediate distance planning. Once you are in a city or small region, then stop at a bookstore, grocery, drug store, or gas station and buy the local detailed map. An experienced traveler has dozens and dozens of local maps in their map box.

Source(s): a lot of travel

No single printed map is going to provide fine detail for every town. I have the atlas you provided the link to, that just touches the really major routes. Very little fine detail, however those are usually sufficient for a cross country drive.

There are detailed atlases by state that would give you pretty much every road.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Hampshire-Atlas-Gazettee...

But you need one for every state if you want fine detail for the whole US.

If you want detail for a particular town, I'd suggest going to a local real estate agent, they will usually have a free fine detail map of the town they service.

You can always go the smart phone route. Either an iPhone or Android phone have GPS capabilities that you will give you all the detail of mapquest - actually an Android phone uses google maps. The other advantage to the smart phone is you can use an application like yelp to find a good hotel/restaurant when you come into a strange city and it will give you turn by turn directions. In my opinion - Android phones are better at the GPS thing than iPhones.

The other option is to buy a dedicated GPS, but I think a smart phone is the better way to go.

• Hugo90

The Large Scale Road Atlas will not show all the city streets and country roads, except on the pages that show details of city centers.

Online maps will show you all the streets when you move in close. It is not possible for large area maps to show all the streets, and when they do move to a size where you can see the streets, there is not room to name them all.

Many real estate office will offer free maps of the local towns and neighborhoods, to aid people looking to buy a home. They probably are doing less of that now as online maps can be more up-to-date and accessed on many phones while you are out in the town.

There are big map books of one state that are very detailed, though most of the streets and roads are not named.

Source(s): Have big map books of several states
  • drip

A state map will not show that much detail for all towns. You should get a map of the town. Try the city/town hall web site for the town you want

unless you get them from each city, they will never show all the roads.