Why are my knees hurting?

So, this has been going on for about 4 years, on and off: my knees, particularly my left knee has started hurting randomly, mostly when I exercise or walk up hills or stairs. Both knees click when I bend them and my left knee creaks or grind when I bend it which hurts a little. The pain when I walk up stairs is... show more So, this has been going on for about 4 years, on and off: my knees, particularly my left knee has started hurting randomly, mostly when I exercise or walk up hills or stairs. Both knees click when I bend them and my left knee creaks or grind when I bend it which hurts a little. The pain when I walk up stairs is like a burning pain all across my knee cap and sometimes the knee feels like its about to give way, it doesn't hurt when I'm sitting but sometimes getting up after sitting for long periods really hurts. I went to the physio therapist three times, the first time they said it was growing pains, second time they said it was because my ankle turns inwards so I had to wear shoe insteps, they didn't help, in fact they made my hips hurt. So I went again earlier this year and they diagnosed it as patella femoral and that I had to do exercises to strengthen the muscle in my leg above my knee but when I do the exercises my knee hurts so I don't do them. Someone said it could be loose cartilage or fluid on the knee but there is no swelling so I don't know. I just want it to go away but I don't want to have to go to the physio all over again just so they can say "do these exercises" that hurt. Should I do them anyway even if it hurts? It's excruciating pain... I don't know what to do. Anyone know? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
2 answers 2