Will this power supply damage my Router or will the power supply go up in smoke?

Hi everyone, I have a Linksys router with a power supply rating of 12V 0.5A. Unfortunately, this power supply stopped working last night. Coincidently, I found a D-Link power supply rated 5V 1.2A. A quick check brought the lights back to life on my Linksys router. I unplugged the cable again because I am not... show more Hi everyone,

I have a Linksys router with a power supply rating of 12V 0.5A. Unfortunately, this power supply stopped working last night. Coincidently, I found a D-Link power supply rated 5V 1.2A. A quick check brought the lights back to life on my Linksys router.

I unplugged the cable again because I am not sure if I can run this device on these settings. I am aware that the output of both adapters are 6 watts, but maybe the higher current will damage my device in the long term. Would it be save to operate my device with this 5V 1.2A power supply? I also think of safety because I will not be home the entire day.
Update: As I said, I plugged in this power supply (it even has the same connector) and the lights went on and the router seemed to boot up correctly. I could try over the weekend to run the router. The issue is that I live in Dubai and people here tend to throw away things after they break - not compatible with a German... show more As I said, I plugged in this power supply (it even has the same connector) and the lights went on and the router seemed to boot up correctly. I could try over the weekend to run the router. The issue is that I live in Dubai and people here tend to throw away things after they break - not compatible with a German mind :)
The only way I could get a a power supply is looking for a used one (which I will do), but this can take a while - so, for the mean time, I could try this replacement