I got braces a couple months ago! Much improvement already. :)
1. It usually takes an hour in a half, maybe add the time it takes for them to explain how you use your toothbrush, floss, etc.
2. It doesn't hurt at all! They do put this sort of grainy stuff on your teeth to make the brackets stick better. You brush that off later though, then they attach the brackets. They also put this sort of blue light on your teeth. (Dunno what it's for)
3. They put these things in your mouth to hold your mouth open while they put the brackets on. Doesn't hurt, just feels odd.
4. Make SURE you take Ibuprofen or Advil BEFORE you get them put on. It does help. They feel super weird after they put them on, but you'll get used to them within a couple hours. You may get sores on your mouth from the metal rubbing against your mouth, but they give you wax for that. The next day it does ache. Don't bite into anything too hard. Chew gum! It helps with the soreness.
5. They don't prescribe any medicine, just take Ibuprofen or something. :)
They're annoying/irritating/sore at first, but you'll get used to them. After about 2 days, I didn't even know they were there. :)