What animal cruelty regulations are there in Canada in regards to factory farms?

I know the Criminal Code includes animal cruelty issues, but does this apply to agricultural operations? This part specifically is confusing:

"Every one commits an offence who wilfully

(a) kills, maims, wounds, poisons or injures cattle; or

(b) places poison in such a position that it may easily be consumed by cattle.

AND

(1) Every one commits an offence who, wilfully and without lawful excuse,

(a) kills, maims, wounds, poisons or injures dogs, birds or animals that are not cattle and are kept for a lawful purpose; or

(b) places poison in such a position that it may easily be consumed by dogs, birds or animals that are not cattle and are kept for a lawful purpose."

Obviously in order to bring food to your table, you have to kill the animal. So agricultural operations are exempt from the animal cruelty provisions in the Criminal Code? If so, what other regulations, if any, are there to protect animals from cruelty in factory farms?

Favorite Answer

I don't know about Canada. I can only say that in the U.S. animal cruelty is a matter regulated by the states, so each one is different, but in general, animal cruelty laws exempt agricultural production. Some states have some animal welfare regulations that do apply to livestock, but again, these vary by state. I disagree with your labelling of "factory farms", all farms are factories for food, and there is nothing neccesarily wrong with scale. Animal cruelty is the result of poor management, not size, it can occur at any size farm, and it should be dealt with wherever it occurs- on both small and large farms.

Goats are animals. Vegans do not consume something of animal foundation, so goat cheese is not extra perfect than cow cheese. As for no remember if or not it quite is uncooked, nicely i will believe the cheesemaker above me while he says it quite is not heated to a severe adequate temp to be seen cooked. i'm not a uncooked foodist or a cheesemaker...

A-there's no such thing as "factory farms".

B- production & slaughter has nothing to do w/any sort of "cruelty".