Jessy
Jessy asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 8 years ago

Readers/Writers: first or third person?

I'm having trouble deciding whether I should write in the first or third person for a story I'm working on. Not that it makes a difference, but it's a futuristic book with a town based off of Colonial America. Confusing, I know. Here's a (very terrible) excerpt of the story in the third person...I was wondering if you think it works better as is or should I change it to first. Thanks!

Virginia awoke with cold sweat dripping down her neck and her breath shallow. Her hair clung to her cheeks and the blankets of her bed were tangled around her. She stole a glance at the bed across from hers, her sister’s. It was empty, and the sheets were already made up.

She threw the bed sheets off of her, for they were uncomfortable in the heat of the mid-summer morning. Even her thin white nightgown clung to her dampened skin.

The door creaked open next to Virginia’s bed and she heard the shuffling of little feet.

I've only written about a page so far...so changing it to first wouldn't be a big deal :). I just need to know what you guys think would make for a better story!

Favorite Answer

You can achieve the same effect with both first and third person if you do it right. And from reading that extract, your writing seems perfectly good in third. I don't think changing it is necessary

I personally like reading books that are in first person more because you can get more of a sense of how the main character feels. But if you have already started writing in third person it would be difficult to change.

I'm third person through and through. Third person every time. But then, all of my stories need to focus on more than just the main character. Sometimes, if there's action away from the main character, it's nice to have freedom. On the other hand, first person can be a huge insight into their feelings. It's up to you, but I liked the extract :)

Personally, I prefer books in the third person, because you get an impartial and wider perspective. But it's true that a book written in the first person focuses more on the main character's feelings, and sometimes it's captivating. So it's up to you. You have to decide what's more important for your book: impartiality and a wider perspective, or the feelings and the perspective of that girl.

Good luck ;)

The way you wrote it, describing Virginia so honestly, would probably make for a better third person story. In first person, the narrator sometimes has trouble describing themselves honestly, so third person makes more sense for this story. Good luck :)

Personally I like reading both first and third person books.

If you start writing input can make the decision for yourself with whichever one is easier to write about

It should be your own thing to decide, but I always liked third person better. Of course, some books are just made for first person...Hank The Cowdog, for example. What you wrote sounds good for third person, though.

Hope I helped,

;-)

Source(s): My own tiny mind
  • cly

Write in spite of you like the main via fact in case you do not delight in writing the tale you will never end it. 2 issues are: Are you making plans on telling any of the tale exterior the protagonist's head in any respect? If definite then you somewhat will might desire to do 0.33 guy or woman of a few variety. Does your POV character have a different way of seeing the worldwide (i.e. blind, heightened senses, etc...) or do you prefer to limit the guidance the reader gets? If definite then first guy or woman or 0.33 guy or woman constrained.

To be honest, I like it fine the way it is. From what you have so far it seems like (for this book at least) third person would be right for you

1