Can the dentist refuse to give me anastasia or any kind of numbing agent?

I went to the dentist to get a tooth filled out today. when i ask to be numbed or given some kind of anastasia he refused and said that i did not need any. when he start to drill into my teeth it hurt really bad and i kept asking him to stop and give me the injection but he didn't. can he do that although i... show more I went to the dentist to get a tooth filled out today. when i ask to be numbed or given some kind of anastasia he refused and said that i did not need any. when he start to drill into my teeth it hurt really bad and i kept asking him to stop and give me the injection but he didn't. can he do that although i kept asking him? i know it's going to cost more but i didn't mind paying.

When i was younger my all the dentist i went to did not give me any injection to numb the area too. i didn't know about this stuff then so i did not ask. it was the reason i put off going to the dentist for 5 years. Getting my cavities filled hurt so much :(