Are there devices that warn about low blood sugar?

I've been type 1 diabetic for 25 years.

I live alone and am having trouble with sudden lows and bottoming out.

Does anyone know of devices that can warn me?

EDIT: I'm sorry, my question was unclear. I have monitors and use them.

I'm looking for something that will warn of a drop in blood sugar. Obviously, if I sense I'm going low I can test, but I'm finding my symptoms are no longer pronounced enough to test before I'm too low. I've seen the night sweat watch, but haven't read enough reviews to see if I want to buy it. Anyone have experience with these?

Favorite Answer

There ARE appliances that can warn you of low blood glucose levels, my friend. They are called CGMS (Continuous Glucose Monitoring System). They are normally used with an insulin pump, so if you're injecting insulin I'm afraid you'll need to check out with your diabetes support team ... doctor/diabetes specialist nurse/certified diabetes educator ... to see if there's a way that they can be used that way.

The lack of warning that you're getting when your blood sugar (glucose) levels fall is called hypoglycemia unawareness. You need to inform your diabetes support team about this. They MAY get you to run your blood sugar levels higher for a short time to see if your awareness improves. Sadly, this doesn't work for everyone. If you've developed a complication called diabetic autonomic neuropathy, this will affect how your body responds to internal signals.

What I can tell you is that CGMS is very expensive. You need to wear an 'implant' that needs to be changed every 3 or 4 days. The bad news is, if your blood sugar level drops rapidly, you still MAY not get sufficient warning to do anything about it. (I wasn't getting the warning from my pump until such time as I had lost consciousness, even though I'd set my pump to alarm once my blood sugar level had dropped to 5.5 mmol/l [99 mg/dL]. The reason behind this is that the CGMS takes readings from the interstitial fluid ... fluid between your body's cells ... rather than directly from blood. This causes a delay in the results obtained.)

I'd urge you to speak with your diabetes support team, my friend, to see what they suggest.

I wish you well.

1

Source(s): Two Weeks Diabetes Cure - http://DiabetesCure.raiwi.com/?lRsT

2

Source(s): Two Weeks Diabetes Cure - http://DiabetesGoFar.com/?rBdU

Yes, a continuous blood glucose monitor. You can also get specially trained dogs that can detect when someone has low blood sugar.

• Wayne

Yes there are devices that you can wear all the time and they will keep track of your sugar levels and some will even automatically give you a shot when it is required.

Yes of course!!!!there are devices which measure ur blood glucose.u hav to just prick ur finger and it will show the value of sugar in ur blood.

u should be abet to get one of those blood testers from the chemist/drug store. you prick your finger and then test the blood to find out what level your blood sugar is at.

• Jen

my husband used to be on the pump, for some reason i keep thinking it had a built-in thing to test his blood, but i'm not sure.

Source(s): yep, i went looking and found something. it's called a glucometer: www.ehow.com/how_5728407_check-blood-glucose-needles.html