Vince asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 7 years ago

Who is in control of Federal Spending?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Bogdan
    Lv 4
    7 years ago
    Best Answer

Congress has the "power of the purse". Congress has to pass a budget each year for discretionary spending (which includes pretty much everything aside from entitlements, ie social security medicare etc).

Congress also essentially authorizes deficit spending, because congress are the only ones who can raise the debt ceiling (the maximum amount of money the government can borrow).

• 7 years ago

Federal spending is obviously way out of control, but The House of Representatives initiates all spending and taxing bills. The Senate has only an approval role and so does the president.

The president can't initiate any bills and his "executive orders" are unconstitutional but so far we have allowed him to get away with those. I have no understanding why citizens tolerate that.

Source(s): For decades I studied philosophies, cultures, and social institutions. I began that because of confusion resulting from my military experience under the shadow of neo-Marxist anti-military and anti-capitalism indoctrination in the universities. I continue a forty year quest wading through the huge pile of stinking crap a wide variety of bigots piled on top of truth hiding it from nearly everyone's view. The pile was made by blaming people they don't like while excusing people they do like regardless of where the fault really lies.
  • 7 years ago

The federal government. That's why we call it "federal" spending.

• 7 years ago

Mostly Congress

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.