Voltaire quote in French (To find out who rules over you...)?

Voltaire: "To find out who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."

I cannot seem to find the initial version in French of this quote. Can anyone help and point out to how (which words) Voltaire used when he wrote in French?

PS: I am assuming this quote is his, but I could be wrong... I need to use something from Voltaire...

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.—Voltaire” suddenly became the subject of “Quote of the Day” on several websites in 2012, even though Voltaire lived from 1694-1778. The quotation does not appear at all in the Google News Archive. There is no evidence for the quotation in any of Voltaire’s writings. The origin of the quotation is unknown.

Several website forums have posters, posting from 2010 and slightly earlier, who have added the “Voltaire” quotation to their posts. However, the dates might not be accurate and the quotation might have been recently added to the signature of these old posts. The blog Ex Cathedra has the quote in a left-hand column and calls it “Voltaire’s Razor” (after “Occam’s razor”).

Wikipedia: Voltaire

François-Marie Arouet (French pronunciation: [fʁɑ̃.swa ma.ʁi aʁ.wɛ]; 21 November 1694 – 30 May 1778), known by his nom de plume Voltaire (pronounced: [vɔl.tɛːʁ]), was a French Enlightenment writer, historian and philosopher famous for his wit and for his advocacy of civil liberties, including freedom of religion, freedom of expression, free trade and separation of church and state. Voltaire was a prolific writer, producing works in almost every literary form, including plays, poetry, novels, essays, and historical and scientific works. He wrote more than 20,000 letters and more than 2,000 books and pamphlets. He was an outspoken supporter of social reform, despite strict censorship laws with harsh penalties for those who broke them. As a satirical polemicist, he frequently made use of his works to criticize intolerance, religious dogma, and the French institutions of his day.

MiniatureHorseTalk.com

Susanne

Posted 02 May 2007 - 02:28 PM

(...)

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.” — Voltaire

Hua Hin Forum

Legend

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:02 pm

(...)

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”—Voltaire

Hua Hin Forum

MrPlum

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:02 pm

(...)

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”—Voltaire

Rebellion

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Quote of the day

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.” Voltaire

IMGACE

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- voltaire

By anonymous – June 8, 2012

(The quotation is given under a picture of Voltaire—ed.)

The Daily Irrelevant

Posted on June 24th, 2012 at 17:07 by John Sinteur

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

–Voltaire

Zion’s Trumpet

Voltaire Has Already Warned Us…

June 27, 2012

“To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.” ~Voltaire

Share Crazy

Wednesday 27 June 2012

QUOTE OF THE DAY

To find out who rules over you, simple determine who you’re not allowed to criticise

- Voltaire

Attack the System

July 17, 2012

Quote of the Day

by Keith Preston

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.” – Voltaire

Amazon.com Politics Forum

Initial post: Aug 13, 2012 6:25:18 PM PDT

left coaster says:

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.” Voltaire

So who rules?

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 6:57:06 PM PDT

T.Paine says:

Would this include Obama since everytime we criticize him we are called racist?

The Biz of Life

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Quote of the Day: Voltaire

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.

~ Voltaire

• 3 years ago

Quote In French

• 4 years ago

I believe it was made-up by some 'anti-semite'. Yet if it's true about the world, then you don't need it to be from Voltaire for it to be useful! Even White Nationalists can have good logic (thinking that this is possible is good logic, thinking that it is impossible is irrational - and people act irrationally when talking about such people, too many shortcuts and stereotypes to have a proper debate). I'm sick of the idiot human race needing for good logic or some good idea to come from some 'credible' source, because they need to show off that they are 'educated' (in the 'correct' way). To be PART OF SOME TRIBE. Logic and reason has no master.

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Voltaire quote in French (To find out who rules over you...)?

Voltaire: "To find out who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."

I cannot seem to find the initial version in French of this quote. Can anyone help and point out to how (which words) Voltaire used when he wrote in French?

PS: I am assuming this quote...

Source(s): voltaire quote french find rules you: https://shortly.im/BqAbW
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

It's a misattribution, deliberately made up by a very nasty man:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Alfred_Strom#M...

Perhaps we should spread the truth about this "quotation", I don't like the idea of Voltaire being appropriated by the extreme Right.

• Who gives a toss who said it, if it is good logic?! I'm sick of the idiot human race needing for good logic or some good idea to come from some 'credible' source, because they need to show off that they are 'educated' (in the 'correct' way). To be PART OF SOME TRIBE. Logic and reason has no master.

• 6 years ago

Here is a Facebook post of the "quote" from May 22 2012. I see it has been shared 138 times.

https://www.facebook.com/ExposingTheTruth/posts/10...

Attachment image
  • 4 years ago

Note that the very first answer, the one that caters to the gatekeepers at Wikislime and other zionist sewers, is marked as the "Best Answer." It s not. And THAT, of course, is the whole point, Can we get a big "DUH!"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.