Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 7 years ago

Books like Divergent and The Hunger Games?

I have already read Matched, The Hunger Games, and Divergent. Any suggestions of books about dystopian societies or any with a similar idea?

Favorite Answer

Maze Runner, The Mortal Instrument series, Incarceron.

DEFINATELY read Andrew fukuda's The prey, second in the series is the hunt & soon to be released (ore-ordered mines 4 months ago!!) The Trap oooh can't wait! I also really enjoyed the Razorland (first ones called Enclave) series I reckon you'd really like it and then there's Julie kagawa's Blood of Eden series they're awsome - currently awaiting the third book in October! Julie Kagawa also has the iron fey series - I'm more into thriller dystopian books but I fairly enjoyed the iron fey books. Try Jeanne DuPrau's City of ember series & Cassandra Clare's city of ashes (also city of bones & city of glass). The maze runner series... Umm... Just finished book 5 of Percy Jackson & the Olympians that was a good series, the movie has nothing on it lol. Hope that list keeps u occupied they're my favourite ice read 27 books in 9 months as I was pregnant & there were couple complications so I had to take it easy, got through some good books though haha enjoy xx

Source(s): Read all the above while pregnant & highly recommend them all xx

Divergent and Hunger Games are my 2 top fav. book series. I will only read dystopian books! Haha, I thought Uglies by Scott Westerfeld was really great. I heard good things about Mazerunners but have not read it.

In addition to the other suggestions, I've heard good things about the Chaos Walking series. I've never read it, but the first book is called The Knife of Never Letting Go, if you'd like to look it up. It was recommended to me as a better-written Hunger Games type story, although I quite liked the Hunger Games myself. :)

The Giver by Lois Lowry

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Fever by Lauren DeStefano

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

The Dead Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer

This World We Live In by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Running Out Of Time by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Thirsty by M.T. Anderson

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry

The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau

Uglies by Scott Westerfield

1984

Brave New World

We Need to Talk About Kevin (really liked this one)

Of Mice and Men

The Catcher in the Rye

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

The Picture of Dorian Gray

Legend - Marie Lu

Delirium - Lauren Oliver

These are my favorite dystopians that you didn't mention.

The Shore of Monsters by David J. Nix – 2011. Five generations earlier, a horde of monsters nearly obliterated humanity. All males are dead or ruined by a monster plague; words like 'father' and 'romance' have lost meaning. When teenager Sky joins an expedition to the shore that falls apart, she must survive amongst the monsters that roam the ruins. She gets unexpected help from a very surprising source. Mystery, action, and romance follow!

Blood Red Road (Dustlands Series) by Moira Young – 2012. In a post-apocalyptic future, 18-year-old Saba’s twin brother is stolen by black-clad riders. When tough-as-nails Saba launches a relentless search to recover him, she must fight for her life in gladiator cages, overcome enemies both creature and human, and learn to trust others for the first time. And try as she might, she can’t help but fall for the charming scoundrel Jack, who just may understand her more than she knows.

Delirium by Lauren Oliver – 2011. In the tightly controlled society of a future America, love is forbidden, classified as ‘deliria’ by authorities. Three months before her 18th birthday and a mandatory procedure to ‘cure’ her deliria, Lena meets Alex, who sends her heart aflutter. As love blossoms between the two, Lena questions what she has always been told about love, and begins to consider the unthinkable: not submitting to the cure, and choosing deliria instead. Beautifully written, but a little slow.

Incarceron by Catherine Fisher – 2007. Incarceron is a prison so vast that it is self-sustaining. Generations of prisoners are born inside, doomed to a life in prison. The novel weaves two story lines: that of 17-year old Finn, who hopes to become only the second person to break out of the prison, and Claudia, the warden's daughter who hopes to escape an arranged marriage. When each discovers a crystal key, they find that they can communicate through the devices, and pledge to help one another. The story lines merge in a fantastic twist you won’t see coming.

Maze Runner by James Dashner - 2009. When Thomas arrives in the Glade, he remembers nothing but his name, just like the dozens of other teen boys who arrived before him. The Glade, which is surrounded by an impenetrable maze, is closed at night to guard against the creatures that roam the darkness, but open for exploration during the day. Getting caught outside at night is certain death. As the boys try to unravel the mystery of their existence, a complication occurs: the first girl arrives in the Glade. More importantly, she has a connection with Thomas and a message that may determine the fate of all the Glade's inhabitants.

Shipbreaker by Paolo Bacigalupi – 2010. In a near future of rising seas, no oil, and extreme poverty, a teenager works as a shipbreaker - one who salvages rusting ships for parts. When he finds a wrecked super-yacht after a storm, he thinks his days of poverty are over. However, he gets swept into an adventure when bad people come for the one survivor of the wreck - a rich, beautiful girl who owns the vessel.

The Uglies Trilogy by Scott Westerfield – 2005. In a future society, a mandatory operation at age 16 wipes out physical differences, turning "Uglies" into "Pretties". The Pretties are allowed freedom to play, while the Uglies jealously await their turn. Ugly Tally has gotten into trouble that may forfeit her operation. The menacing government offers her a way out: find a group of rebel Uglies, infiltrate, and betray them. Tally agrees, but upon finding the rebels comes to understand the terrible price of becoming pretty.

Unwind by Neal Shusterman - 2009. In post-war future, the abortion debate has been solved through compromise. Parents may elect to have their teenage children "unwound", a process where the teens organs and body parts are harvested for others. The story follows three runaway Unwinds, each discarded for behavior, religious, or economic reasons. As the trio embarks on a harrowing journey of escape, the reader will ponder very heavy moral questions, and wrestle with how much a bad decision can affect future generations. This is a masterpiece on every level!

harry potter

the maze runner

delirium

uglies

gone

paranormalcy

• Arina

I think Slaverunners. I got it for free on iBooks. And Shipbreaker.